Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms02-039

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:34 PM

I installed MS SQL Server 2000 a while back, but never have used it, because it caused a vulnerability check on my computer to reveal WORM_SQLP1434.A, which relates to Microsoft Bulletins MS02-020 ("Moderate" Risk) and MS02-039 ("Critical" Risk). I downloaded the patch for MS02-039 from Microsoft, but -- as I am not a techie -- evidently I did not install it correctly; because still have the same problem.

I spent MANY hours on the phone with my Internet Security Provider, to no avail, so I resorted to trying to get help from Microsoft. Their website indicates free product phone support for security patches, but the link for the support phone number is broken.

Does anyone know:
1. Whether it is safe to proceed with this worm on my computer.
2. How I can call Microsoft to get the problem resolved.
3. How to just go ahead and resolve the problem.

Thank you for your help!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

MS02-039: Buffer Overruns in SQL Server 2000 Resolution Service Could Enable Code Execution
Technical Details here.
Patch available for download here.

MS02-020: SQL Extended Procedure Functions Contain Unchecked Buffers (Q319507)
Patch available with information on how to install here.
Per Microsoft, "Before you apply the patch, you must install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2)". Did you install the service pack?

I have never used SQL Server 2000 but if no one else replies and you need help from Microsoft, try the links at Microsoft TechNet: Troubleshooting and Support

For info on WORM_SQLP1434.A aka W32.Slammer worm as it relates to SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server Desktop Engine, see here.

It's never a good idea to continue using your computer with malware on it. What type of anti-virus are you using and when was the last time you ran a scan? Did you try doing a scan in "SAFE MODE"? Have you performed any anti-spyware or online scans?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users