Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan...i Think

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bongo Pete

Bongo Pete

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

well, i just turned on my computer earlier today, and it was running horribly slow, and whenever i opened something it wouldn't open up, like firefox.exe was there like 4 times, so i had to end all of them and then open it again, then it finally worked...anyways i checked the task manager to see what was open, and it was all the same stuff except something called "guard.exe"...so i typed it into google to see if i can find something about it, it came up with something about a program called Ewido, but i don't have that program :thumbsup:

so i checked my windows folder too look around, and i see files called "twain.dll" "twain_32.dll" "twunk.16.exe" and "twunk_32.exe". I looked up on googled for those and it said it was a worm or something. Whenever i try and delete it, all they do is re-appear 15 seconds later.

so does anyone know if theres something wrong? or am i just getting worked up over nothing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using and when was the last time you ran a scan? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Are you using AVG Anti-Spyware? If so, it is Ewido Anti-malware 4.0 renamed. It contains the same ewido technology and uses guard.exe.

Anytime you come across a suspicious file your not sure about you can go to jotti.org or to virustotal.com.
Browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit [upload] it for scanning/analysis.
The results of the file analysis will tell you if the file is bad.

You can also check the File Database.

For info on legit twain and twunk files, see here.

twunk_16.exe
Company: Twain Working Group
Description: Twain_32.dll Client's 16-Bit Thunking Server

twunk_32.exe
Description: Twain.dll Client's 32-Bit Thunking Server

twain.dll
Description: Twain Source Manager (Image Acquisition Interface)

twain_32.dll
Description: Twain_32 Source Manager (Image Acquisition Interface)

wiatwain.ds
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Description: WIATWAIN

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer Checklist. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. too many startup programs, to many programs open at one time, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM etc. Further, as your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users