Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Schedules Tasks and all automation?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:53 PM

Hi anyone that can help me with this,

I thought it would be nice to automate all my systems self maintenance programs, can you? First, anybody that has a complete and exhaustive list of what the self maintenance programs are please let me know what they are!
Second, Scheduled Tasks doesn't seem to be able to access some of the maintenance programs. For instance, Disk De-fragmentation and File Signature Verification don't seen to be able to be reached by Scheduled Tasks to set up, can they and how would you? Also I stumbled across another maintenance program in XP's Help and Support that when started while still using the computer was going to run for 12 or 20 hours to complete it's task. I closed it down because of the time involved. But for the love of me I haven't been able to re-find it to run it again. Does anyone know what program I'm referring to and how I would locate it again to run it? Disk Cleanup has a schedule. I can do that one and others that have schedules on them. However please include what you have on your list and how they can be scheduled, either them selves and/or put on Scheduled Tasks.
Also, while we're on the subject of automation, any suggestions on what ever else can be automated for better performance I'd like to hear. Thank you.

Johnz414
Windows XP SP 2

:thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:50 PM

I rarely automate these types of tasks because they tend to go off when i need to use the computer. If you wanted defrag, you could browse to c:\windows\system32\defrag.exe and run it with the argument c:

Anything can be scheduled as long as you know the location of the file and how to set options from the command line

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users