Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viewpoint

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grtgrampa

grtgrampa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

Must I just embrace viewpoint and enjoy it?
How can I eliminate it?
How can I block it from being reinstalled every time I turn around?
.....John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hey there John, and welcome to BleepingComputer! :thumbsup:

As you probably know already, Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This will change from what we know in 2006 read this article: http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546
I suggest you remove the program now. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove anything with reference to Viewpoint.

You shouldn't need to go into safe mode at all, and it's normally pretty easy to remove.
Afterwards please check here for any Viewpoint related folders leftover and delete them:
C:\Program Files

Hopefully then you should be rid of the program.
Be careful what you install on your computer, sometimes it comes bundled without you knowing.
Try and read the terms and conditions of software if possible, you might be able to stop it.

I've had a similar problem with Viewpoint, every time I remove it, it comes back.
I'm trying to get to the bottom of it - If I find a definite solution I'll be sure to let you know!
You might also like to consider a hosts file which should block it.
Have a read here for instructions for downloading/installing:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users