Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Patchupdate.info And Winregistrycleaner.com Popups

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 disguys_dalimit

disguys_dalimit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

ok, posting on behalf of a friend here.

First some details. She is using windows xp home version, on a computer she bought second hand. She doesn't use any messenger services, but the previous owner may have.

she is getting 2 different popups on a consistent basis which seem like scamware. they only appear when she is connected to the internet.

the first says:

Important windows security bulletin.

your system is affected

type adress below into internet browser, click OK

www.patchupdate.info

[ok]

The second says:

critical error message-registry damaged

wxww.winregistry.com (link)

(i threw the extra x in the www so nobody would click on it by mistake)

Adaware ( free version) has been run with no discernable effect.

Obviously i have to look at the computer, but any ideas on what I'm looking for would be helpful.
a search of the two links on google did not turn up much that was helpful.

the patchupdate one seems to be related to windows messenger spam, but as i said, she doesn't use messenger.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users