Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound From Anywhere

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 packvet2

packvet2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

I have no sound except a small bass "thump" on start up and shutdown from my sub. I am using an ASUS A8N32-SLI deluxe, Windows XP w/ SP2, Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card, and Creative Inspire P7800 speakers. The device manager shows no indications of trouble and says my card is working properly and is enabled. However, when I go to the Sound and Audio devices through the control panel, it says there is no audio device. I have removed and reinstalled the drivers. I have reconnected the speakers. I even removed my sound card and removed its software, but the in-board Realtek card does the same thing with the same result. Everything is powered and apparently working correctly according to the little lights and Windows. What do I do now?

Thanks,
Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

Almost sounds like your onboard audio is still on, and is conflicting with your soundcard. Go into your bios settings and turn off the onboard audio (or change it to PCI, whichever is applicable). Hopefully this will solve your problem. If not, post back and let us know, and we'll continue to help you!

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 packvet2

packvet2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:44 PM

I tried turning off the onboard sound through bios. Any time I try to run anything that has to do with the soundcard I get an "audio device supported by this application is not detected" message, but it still says the card is enabled and working correctly in device manager. Also, I ran the Creative diagnostics that came with the soft ware. The hardware is detected, and the soundfont and DirectSound 3D "Pass", but the MIDI, Wave, Mixer and Mixer Settings all fail.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

Hmm....have you tried putting the sound card in a different PCI slot? I'm no pro, but I know that the PCI slots share resources with some of the other things on the mobo, and if you have an AGP slot, that you shouldln't put anything in the 1st (top) PCI slot (at least that's what I was told).

If it were me, I'd uninstall the sound card, remove it from the machine, reboot, uninstall the onboard audio, reboot, then reinstall the sound card in a different PCI slot.

First, I'd go through all my settings, both in Windows (via control panel, sounds and audio devices), AND through my software that came with the soundcard and check to make sure that something's not muted. It's happened to me before, something got muted (can't remember exactly what) and my mic quite working! Took me a week to figure it out.

If none of this works, then I'm stumped! Let us know if this works! If not, we'll get someone else to help you!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users