Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Check This Computer Build...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

Please check this computer build and let me know what you think. I'm concerned with the power supply unit. I'm unsure if it'll have an issue running 4 sticks of 1gb (pc6400) ram, and if it'll run the gfx card as it's PCI-E x16 and I don't know if that kind of card requires a special adapter like an SLI requires a PSU to be "SLI Ready" (although I don't think it does).

Things I would like for others to double check is the compatibility of the mobo and all the other components (psu, ram, gfx card etc.), as these are all that we'll order if we can get the funding.

Any comments are welcome! Improvements are also (extremely) welcome! Thanks in advance everyone! :thumbsup:

PSU

MOTHERBOARD

RAM *will have 4 each 1 GB sticks of RAM*

GRAPHICS CARD

PROCESSOR

Other things that I'll add to the order would be a 10/100/1000 nic card, DVD burner, pcmcia drive, and a few USB extensions for reading thumb drives and camera's. The case and fans we already have (atx format tower that's HUGE, like 2 1/2 feet tall!), so I'll reuse them.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help with this!

Edited by stevealmighty, 23 October 2006 - 12:00 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

At a quick glance everything seems compatible, but I'm having a hard time making sense of your choices. What exactly will you do with the machine?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

Well, I'm looking for speed. Lightning fast speed. Since all of the work we'll do on these (they'll be 7 machines total) is 2 dimensional (NO gaming on here and no video rendering), strictly using Adobe Photoshop to alter, filter, crop, resize, batch process etc. etc. images ranging from 4 mb to 38 mb and sometimes up to 80 mb. Also, the gfx card is mainly to run our LCD monitors, and the graphics department will run dual LCD monitors, but I run mine in 1600x1200. I'm trying to go with the duo so that it can handle multiple process's at the same time, as the government likes to run virus scans at all funky times, like during the middle of the duty day when you're working away at your computer and it slows to a crawl because it's doing a virus scan, or because they're scanning it for malware, illegal programs etc. The 4gb of ram was because some people like to have 20 images open on their screen, which sucks up ram. Also, when we get to cutting and pasting, or having multiple images with multiple layers, it sucks up ram too. The mobo ties it all together, and the PSU should be more than capable of running all of the computers power needs, but I still wonder about the 4gb of ram-->will that psu power all that ram alright?

Is this what you were looking for? I guess I could've narrowed it down to me wanting raw power, blazing speed and a machine that won't be slow or out dated in 2 years. We've got some funding now, and are looking to upgrade our computers, which we've had now for 3+ years before "they" take our funding away.

Thanks for your input Mr Alpha :thumbsup:

EDIT: Again, any changes and/or recomendations are welcome!

Edited by stevealmighty, 23 October 2006 - 03:29 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

Yes, that was what I was looking for. Now for a few comments: :thumbsup:
  • The graphics card is way overpowered. Since you are only doing 2D stuff you don't need the extra 3D hardware that comes with it.
  • Why get a motherboard with integrated graphics when you are getting a seperate graphics card?
  • The motherboard, as most mid-range motherboards today, comes with integrated 10/100/1000 nic. The high-end motherboards usually have two.
  • Getting a dual-core Core 2 Duo for multi-tasking makes sense. You could drop down to an E6600 without noticing any difference.
  • The PSU is enough, RAM uses very little power. My fans use more power than my RAM.
  • In a 32 bit OS Photoshop won't use more than 1.7 GB of RAM unless and some switch to an ini file.
  • A 32 bit Os won't be able to see more than 3.3-3.6 GB of RAM.
  • Having a dedicated partition or even a dedicated high-performance hard-drive for Photoshop's scratch disk can do wonders for performance. Photoshop saves a full-sized copy of the picture to the scratch disk for every step in your history.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

Yes, that's what I was looking for! Now for a few questiosn :thumbsup: LOL!

With the ram, I'll set up the machines so that Photoshop will use 85% of the ram, so that'll suck up the majority of that, leaving (out of 4 gigs total) what should be enough for the rest of the programs running to fight over. I've seen some of the other photographers have open upwards of 20 images in photoshop at once, and make changes to probably 90% of them, to see which they like better (specially true with group shots), so won't that suck up more ram too? I should've mentioned that the comps will have dual drives, one for the OS and the other for PS, probably 80 gb each.

With the integrated lan lines, ermm, nic, doesn't that suck up mobo resources? Wouldn't a card free up resources making the machine a tad faster, or would it not make a big enough difference to matter?

I see what you're saying about the grapics card(s). Any reccomendations on a lower end one? Maybe a 64mb one would suffice?

Thanks for your input and help Mr Alpha! I sincerely do appreciate it! :huh:
Posted Image

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:20 AM

With the ram, I'll set up the machines so that Photoshop will use 85% of the ram, so that'll suck up the majority of that, leaving (out of 4 gigs total) what should be enough for the rest of the programs running to fight over. I've seen some of the other photographers have open upwards of 20 images in photoshop at once, and make changes to probably 90% of them, to see which they like better (specially true with group shots), so won't that suck up more ram too? I should've mentioned that the comps will have dual drives, one for the OS and the other for PS, probably 80 gb each.

Photoshop will only see 2 GB, so if you set it up to use 85% it will use 1.7 GB. The fault is not in Photoshop, but in Windows, and it is something in Windows you have to change to get Photoshop to see the full 3.5 GB. I'll see if I can find the article. Top use the full 4 GB of memory you will need either the 64 bit version of XP or the 64 bit version of Vista.

With the integrated lan lines, ermm, nic, doesn't that suck up mobo resources? Wouldn't a card free up resources making the machine a tad faster, or would it not make a big enough difference to matter?

Unless you will be doing a lot of really heavy networking, you won't notice any difference.

I see what you're saying about the grapics card(s). Any reccomendations on a lower end one? Maybe a 64mb one would suffice?

Yes, 64 MB would be enough. Any ATI or nVIDIA card with the right outputs would do.

EDIT: Found it: Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems

Edited by Mr Alpha, 24 October 2006 - 05:22 AM.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:09 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks Mr Alpha! I do remember hearing about the ram and windows, but completely forgot (obviously). I do appreciate you taking the time to find that article too. It was a little confusing the first time I read it. Second time it was still confusing. After reading it like the 5th or 6th time, it made sense. B)

I'll make the changes to the graphics card, and put the cpu that you recommended in as an option too. I've got this guy that's a new "lead" that wants to get Dells....blah, Dell :huh: I'm gonna push for these customized comps, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Again, thanks for all your help, I do appreciate it! :huh:
Posted Image

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:42 PM

My apologies for back to back posting, as I know it's frowned upon. However, I didn't want to edit my previous post, as I would like Mr Alpha to know that I do appreciate both his insight and his time.

Ok, as I said earlier, my "lead" (lower level supervisor) is trying to get a dell instead of going with a custom built computer. My arguement is price mainly (aside from the fact that I'm not a Dell fan).

Here's what he's suggesting, which IMHO is complete overkill, not to mention a waste of funds, as we'll be ordering 7 of which ever computer is going to be used.

Dell XPS 700 Special Edition Fromula Red (priced out with options at $5,603!!!!!) I think that the things I had picked out were roughly $1,200.

*CPU: Pentium 965 Extreem edition w/dual core tech (3.73 ghz, 4mb cache) product code mr965b
*OS: Windows XP Pro w/re-installation CD product cold WPXP
*memory: 4GB dual channell DDR2 SDRAM at 667 mhz-4 dimms product code 4GB64
*internal hard drives: 500 gb serial ATA 3GB/s hard drive (7200 rpm) w/DataBurst Cache product code 500s
*additional hard drive: 160GB serial ATA 3GB/s hard drive (7200 rpm) w/databurst cache product code 160sb
*optical drive: dual drives: 48x combo+16x DVD +/-RW w/dpl layer writ capable product code COM6DVR
*video cards: dual 1gb Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Cards, quad SLI product code QUAD79
*Monitor: 24 inch ultrasharp 2407FPW Widescreen digital flat panel product code 2407WFP
*sound card: Sound Blaster X-Fi xtreme Music (D) sound card product code XFI
*physics accelerator: AGEIA PhsyX phsysics accelerator
*System details: 1 Kilowatt Power Supply product code 1KWPS

Here's what I see wrong with this system.....

*To much RAM (per our earlier discussion) and can go to 800mhz if going to 2gb ram
*2nd drive appears to be external, can be internal and smaller to run OS and have 500gb drive as storage
*processor is way overkill for doing just 2D programs (Adobe photoshop and Corel Draw in graphics)
*graphics cards are beyond overkill-->I'd have to invent a word for it later on
*no need for dual dvd burners as we don't copy dvd's directly onto another dvd
*no need for a sound card as we never listen to music or run programs that make noise (except OS)
*certainly no need for a Physics Accelerator as we don't have anything that will require it (or support it)
*the 1 KW PSU is overkill for what we need the computer to do (again, all 2D things)

Can anyone agree with me on this that this machine as listed above is way to much to run just photoshop and corel draw? I think that I'm right with what I've said, but I'd like a second (and/or 3rd and 4th) opinion!

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

Processor: Uhmmm, that's way to voerkill, I'd go with the lower end Core 2 series. Like the E6600 or even lower would do the job just as well.

Power Supply: Uhmmm, you don't need that, for 2D, 300-500 watt one should suffice.

Video-card: Are you planing to use it a space heater during the upcoming winter months? For that intergrated would maybe work, but a X300 or MX44 would do it just fine.

Sound Card: Unless you're a hardcore gamer or do lots of music composing it's really not usefull. intergrated will do just fine.

Monitor: Hrrrmm, yes and no. More of a personel preference.

Memory: 1-2GB will do just fine, no need for 4GB.

Agiea Physics card: N, it's only used it certain games, and with the new stuff like ATI thinking of being able to use your old card as a physics processor, you really don't need it.

Hardrives: Well if you plan to hold alot fo stuff, not bad of an idea.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:29 AM

That's a gaming machine with a lousy processor, definitely not a Photoshop machine. If you want so spend that kind of money, just get a Mac Pro, add a hard drive as scratch disk, and fill it up with memory. Then you'll have a workstation to do anything you need done for the foreseeable future.

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the input both of you! I agree with everything you said protozero!

Mr Alpha, why is that a lousy processor? Isn't it like a core 2 duo on steroids? But ya, that's a sweet gaming machine....but the price is scary! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

Mr Alpha, why is that a lousy processor? Isn't it like a core 2 duo on steroids? But ya, that's a sweet gaming machine....but the price is scary! :thumbsup:

Not at all. The Pentium 965 Extreme Edition is still a netburst processor, same as the Pentium 4. Back in the earlier topic when I said that the slowest Core 2 Duo is faster than the fastest Pentium, that was the Pentium I was talking about.

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

OHhhhhhhhh, I see. Well, now I know. The processor said that it had dual core technologies, so without researching it, I assumed it was an "extreme" edition of the dual core series. Hrmph! Little do I know! :thumbsup:

Thanks for you patience with me! You're probably going to stop posting in any topics that I make because I keep asking questions!!!!!! LOL!!!!

Again, thanks Mr Alpha, I sincerely do appreciate it! And I'm sorry to be such a pain! :huh:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users