Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Constantly Reboots, Stops, Reboots But Does Not Start Properly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jujosa

jujosa

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

I need some help!!!

On Oct. 8.2006 I tried to open a file from internet. It came the advise that it could only be open in MS-DOS. I cancel it and when I was finish with the work I shut down the PC. Two days later, I tried to start the PC but it was impossible:it starts booting, gets to the windows 98 screen, stops and reboots again and again without loading windows. I started it in "safe mode" and detected, that somehow, the autoexec.bat file was changed by windows, adding a couple of lines and the remark "does¨t change these lines which have been created by windows". I run in safe mode ad-aware and the AVG antivirus but without any results. One thing call my attention: In the AVG report indicates "Partition table and boot sector of disk - reading error" and a red cross is visible across both icons. I have tried many times to restart the PC but I get always the same result: it reboots until the windows 98 screen appears, stops end reboot again constantly.

I would appreciate very much any help from your side.
Thanks
Jujosa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:01 AM

PC does´t bootup properly
Can anyone give me some advice on what can I do in order to eliminate this problem (virus, software, hardware etc.?) or at least tell me what is causing it?.

Thanks for any help!
jujosa

#3 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

It sounds like some malware has added those spurious lines to autoexec.bat, as windows doesn't add lines like "does¨t change these lines which have been created by windows", you could disabling the spurious lines by adding 'rem ' (without the quotes, but with the space) at the beginning of the lines you think are wrong, and then re-boot and see what happens.

Typically, your autoexec.bat file should look something like:

mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

with very little else. (If you are in the USA you probably won't even have the keyb line in it).
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#4 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

Thanks Floydoid for your answer!

I did what you proposed but the PC did not start up either. There schould be something else that does not allow the PC to boot up correctly. The problem continues and I am totally fu..... up since I can´t use it.

I am not in the USA but in Spain

Thanks and regards
Jujosa

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

Bad system memory can make a computer act very strangely. Try running Memtest86 or MicroSoft's Memory Test to see if you have one or more bad memory modules.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the answer Acklan!. You helped me once already with a non-writing floppy driver.

The problem is that I can´t connect to internet to unload the Memtest86 or any other software since the PC is only running in safe mode. The RAM memory seems to be OK.

When I run AVG antivirus, the report shows at the beginning the remarks "partition table and boot sector of disk - reading error" and both icons crossed by a red cross. I think that probably this is the reason why the PC is not booting-up properly. But what is originating this reading error: it is a virus, a damage of the HD surface in this section or something else?. How can I eliminate it?.

Thanks for any further help

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

If I sent you a attachment could you receive it them. You do know you will hae to run the Mem86 from a CD or Floppy or some other external device? It is not installed on your hard drive.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

Hi, Acklan
Thanks for answering!
Since I don´t have Memtest86 in the memory of the damaged PC I will try to unload it from Internet, with other computer from a friend, into a floppy and run it on the defective PC. Do you think this might be a problem with the RAM memory?. Why can´t the PC read the boot and partition table sectors when it should boot-up?

For sure I could get any attachment you would send to me.
Thanks again

#9 Shinobi

Shinobi

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

try booting with a floppy disk and run "scandisk C: /autofix" in that exact spacing format. it sounds like your hard drive might have some bad sectors or data. And if that doesn't work you can also try running "fdsk /mbr' the same way. try the scandisk first though.

Edited by Shinobi, 14 November 2006 - 12:13 PM.

#10 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:23 AM

I have tried everything proposed so far but I could not fix my PC properly, so finally I decided to buy a new Compaq Presario.

I would like to thank everybody who tried to help me. This is really a great forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users