Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dsl Connections

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 airaced57

airaced57

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

I am waiting for a DSL connection and my new ISP has advised me it will take approx 5 days for our national telephone company to set this up. Can anyone explain to me,in layman's terms, what is involved and why is takes so long ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

Beaurocratic inefficiency and economies of scale!

If you were their only customer, service would be prompt. But, it would also be much, much more expensive.

The actual work involved (if they don't have to rewire anything) is minimal. But you're standing in line behind who knows how many customers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:05 AM

Thanks John,
From previous experience with the phone company in question, your first observatrion "Bureaucratic inefficiency"is most likely to more accurate one. I am still,however, do not know what is actually involved and I do know no wire switching is involved since I had DSL with another ISP before and have all the equipment needed at my end i.e. Modem,filters etc. Guess I will just have to be patient. Cheers, mchaggis.

#4 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

Try starting the net up with the user name and password you set up for your new account, mine was up and running days before the official start date.

#5 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Kev, I tried but no such luck. At my age,crawling under my desk to make the connection changes takes its toll. Guess I will have just wait it out. Appreciate your interest. mchaggis.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

Although it may not be an option for you - I find cable much easier to deal with than DSL. I don't even have the cable folks come into the house - I setup the modem and connection myself with very little effort.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

Thanks John.
Sorry to take so long to respond. Cable here is an option but I already have enough cables leading into this residence.The tech at my new ISP was great. The modem,purchased from my previous service provider was set to work only with that service. He talked me through how to change that and I am not full operational. mchaggis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users