Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iexplore.exe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yum yum

yum yum

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:10 AM

i keep finding IEXPLORE.EXE running on my pc and it slows everything down. I dont know if its the same iexplore.exe file thats safe and thats why i am asking you nice guys for some help.

i have run virus checks and windows defence and they have not found anything but i dont know enough about it yet to tell if its safe.

The info on the net doesnt think the uppercase version is safe .. any light you could shed would be gratefully received

Many thanks yum yum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:17 AM

Can you provide us with the location of the IEXPLORE.EXE file? Also, what version is it? If it's located in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer (and the virus/malware scans show as clean) - then it's probably OK.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:47 AM

Run the Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

In addition to being a malware scan (Anti-virus and anti-malware), it will also check your registry and defrag your computer.

#4 yum yum

yum yum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:25 PM

Hi john and thanks it looks like it is in the programme files/internet explorer but i have no idea what version it is unless you mean windows xp !!! .. lol

going to run the scan now, thanks for your help folkes

Yum Yum :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:32 AM

Just right click on the file, select Properties, then select the Version tab - the info will be there.

FWIW - here's my version number for that file: 6.0.2900.2180
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 yum yum

yum yum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

JOHN - thanks very much, mine has the same number as yours next to it, so it looks like its safe then.

I am learning more and more each day, thanks for all your help its much appreciated

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

What did the scan tell you the results were?
And did it speed up your pc?

#8 yum yum

yum yum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

The results came back free from virus etc .... just found some defrags that needed ammending and now its all sorted, Its running much better now (fingers crossed) thanks for your help with it all. I will keep the windows live site and run a check once a month.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

Very good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users