Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apc Be650r Ups

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

Hello. I seem to be having a hard time with UPS units. You may remember me asking about a CyberPower unit. I took it back; and now: I just purchased the above named UPS for my HP Pavilion a1220n desktop with Windows XP Home SP2 a few days ago. I am having trouble installing the CD software (called "PowerChute) that goes with the product. Each attempt that I have made to install it (4 times) gives the same results. After the program installs and I click "Finish", this error message pops up: "RUNDLL ; Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\APC\APC ; The specified module could not be found." The program is installed; I can configure settings and such, but when I try to test the UPS by unplugging it to simulate a power outage, the program does not shut down the PC as it is supposed to. Instead, the exact same message described above pops up over and over indefinitely. The APC tech support seems to think that my PC is not recognizing the UPS, but I have explained to them that the Windows XP built-in power management system controls it just fine, and recognizes the unit right down to its serial number. In the Power Options of the Windows Control Panel, the UPS tab has been replaced with Alarms and Power Meter tabs, and I can set up shut-down with it.(But only if the "PowerChute software is uninstalled, of course.) However, I would much prefer to use the PowerChute software, as it allows for many more options. APC's tech support is trying to be helpful, but I think that they may be simply giving me pre-written troubleshooting procedures, and that they don't truly know what they are doing. For the sake of trying anything that I could think of on my own, I tried to use the downloaded version of APC's software from their web site instead of the CD. Identical problem. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

For those who are curious: I was having a completely different problem with the CyberPower software. I took it back because their tech support never once replied to any of my e-mails. I was pretty much ignored.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

May I at least ask this? If I am understanding the error message correctly, the PC is not trying to tell me that there is something wrong with the portion of the UPS program that is supposed to shut down the PC. Instead, it is telling me that it cannot find the portion of the program that is supposed to shut down the PC at all. Is this correct? Thank you.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

I also use an APC system. I've not been able to find any references to the error message you are getting there. I had no problems in setting up the system with Powerchute, though my system sometimes lags in the shutdown on a "brown-out" power situation.

I would try once again with APC tech support - maybe another responder will have an answer?

Barring that, hang on here. Another member may be able to respond.
We are not ignoring you, we just haven't found an answer to help yet.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

Thank you for the response, KoanYorel. The last I have heard from APC's tech support so far is something to the tune of: "We are glad to hear that your UPS works with the Windows resident shutdown manager...". Not exactly what I wanted to hear. You can see what their "solution" is so far. But, I'm still trying to work with them.

I apologize if I gave the impression that I though that I was being ignored. The truth is, this seems to be a real mystery. This is the third help forum that I have asked for help on, and your reply is the first and only that I have gotten so far. The other two are well-established, just like BC, with tens of thousands of members (again, just like BC). Thank you again for your time. Hopefully, someone will come along with a suggestion.

Edited by rlprlp, 24 October 2006 - 07:48 PM.

#5 CountDraco

CountDraco

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:12 AM

i am having the exact same problem. apc hasnt even responded to my questions (wierd since i thought apc was good at customer support). same ups same errors. almost same buying date.

please tell me the email u used to send apc ur problem. maybe if we bug them more they might answer.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

I've had several problems with my APC UPS's software. It seems to corrupt very easily.

I'd suggest a complete removal (including stray registry entries and extra folders on your hard drive) - then reinstall the latest version from their site. This has always fixed my problems with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users