Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1st New Build Project Followed Directions Nothing Is Working!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CPLKaveman2

CPLKaveman2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:33 AM

I am building a new comp for my brother and having some trouble. The mobo is an ECS 661GX-M 1.0B SIS 661GX 775. CPU is Intel CD 2.26GHz 478. I have a 512MB PQI DDR400 RAM chip. I am using a know good HD, CD/DVD Drive, and PSU. The case is a CompUSA model bought new. I installed every thing on MOBO according to User's guide and turned on. The HD light just stays on, but does not sound like it is "working". The CD drive will not open and light never comes on. The heatsink fan for CPU is running. When I disconnect cables form MOBO to HD and CD Drive they both start operating as they should. HD starts spinning and CD drive light is active and drawer will open. Is this a DOA MOBO, CPU, or both??? The CPU, MOBO, RAM, and Heatsink/Fan combo were all purchased from Newegg.com. I have never had a problem with anything else I have bought from them, and I have never dealt with a new MOBO before just upgrades. Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

CPLKaveman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:46 AM

Do you have the jumpers set for master on the HDD and slave on the CD?
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 CPLKaveman2

CPLKaveman2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:56 AM

I prefer Cable Select especially with XP Pro, but I have tried them in that config also. Also when turning on the power the only way to turn the computer off is to unplug from socket. The reset button and the power button will not even allow a "forced" power down. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users