Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Move, Copy, Burn Or Archive A File.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nork

nork

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

I get this problem too often, wonder if anyone can help me out. This time around i was trying to copy a program over to another drive for backup purposes. All but one file would copy to this other drive. I tried to copy the file, i tried burning the whole program to a cdr but it wouldnt work, got a bad burn twice. I even tried to zip the file to see if i could trick it so i could move the archived file, no dice. The error message i get is this:

Error Copying File or Folder
Cannot copy newdotnet uninstaller: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

The disk is certainly not full and the file is not write-protected that i can see.

I am running xp pro. The file is on my second internal hard drive, NTFS, and i am trying to copy to a usb drive that is formatted fat32. But that isnt the problem as the file cant even be burned. My burning software is nero, using nero express and its working fine, i use it a lot. But it wont burn this one file. When i get the error message from nero and i exit the prog, i get an error message saying something about cmd.exe, as if to say that cmd.exe had a hold on that file and wouldnt release it and that is the reason it wouldnt burn, but not really sure on that. But i certainly dont get any message like that when the burn goes fine.

I also turned off my antispyware, a\virus, firewall, etc, etc, thinking one of these progs might be the cause, no dice there either. I dont think its because i am too deep in my file structure, but i guess its possible, but i cant even copy the file to my desktop.

I have tried google and the closet thing i got to my issue was this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307877
I am not savvy enough to know for sure if this applies to my case or not, but i dont think it does as the file wont even burn. I believe i pointed out that this is not the first time this problem has happened. But usually i have found a way around it, just not this time, so i would appreciate any help i get. Sorry to be long-winded but i have to give this info so you know what i have done and what i havent.

Oh ya, i have rebooted a few times as well and thats not the answer.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:46 PM

Error Copying File or Folder
Cannot copy newdotnet uninstaller: Access is denied.

I have seen NewDotNet flagged as malware and spyware. Spybot and Ad-Aware both have it in their definition files, and I see several threads in which people are assisted in removing it.

I am no expert, but it sounds as though you have an infection on your hands.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:20 AM

newdotnet is malware(if it is not quaranteen by your protection you will see a mile off in the hjt log

here is a link to security here
- follow the steps mentioned in the link
- if at the end of the steps your computer is still infected the link mentioneds how to have ones system checked by the hjt log reading

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
everyday is a gift

#4 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:29 AM

try this

Download LSPFix.exe to a convenient location.
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(not to use unless we have a problem)

Go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Remove the following programs if listed:
New.Net
webHancer

(if in doing so the internet connection breaks)
Restart your computer and try connecting to the internet. If you are still unable to connect, please complete the following:

Double-click LSPFix.exe.
Check the "I know what I'm doing" button. You will see 2 panels.
If there is any file listed in the "Remove" panel on the right-side, leave it as is and just click "Finish>>" then reboot your computer and you should now have access to the Internet.
If nothing is listed under the "Remove Panel", do NOT do anything - just close the program, and post back here.

Edited by fleamailman, 23 October 2006 - 06:02 AM.

everyday is a gift

#5 nork

nork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for your replies.

Newdotnet is not installed anywhere on my pc. It is only a file inside a program that i havent installed.
I have read about it and there seems to be 2 sides to this story, one saying its malware and another saying its not, hard to say on that. Still, i dont have it installed anyway.
I did go to add\remove and no such programs as New.Net or webHancer are there. And there arent any other programs in add\remove that i dont know about.

The LSPFix.exe, can i ask why you want me to run this? It points out that it doesnt get rid of malware and only repairs internet connections and there isnt anything wrong with my internet connection.

thanks

#6 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:09 AM

quite right, often in removing newdotnet if in the appwiz.cpl it also removes your connection to the internet too, so rather than having you say dude I have lost my internet I had you download the fix in case
but since it is a file with newdotnet in it it is not actually running skip the idea

remember we are working blind, and can only go on what you tell us

btw some quaranteen files won't transfer so is this the file from something like ewido or another protection
everyday is a gift

#7 nork

nork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

fleamailman, you are so right!
I always try to give as much info as possible as its a very tough job to diagnose what you cant actually see. And thats why i always thank people for their input.
But, again, i havent installed Newdotnet. However, you did point out one thing and you are so right! You said "btw some quarantine files won't transfer so is this the file from something like ewido or another protection"

I did point out that the newdotnet file is part of a whole program but left it at that. In fact, what it is is a large combination of programs, an "all in one" that i downloaded from the net. Of course i cant go into details, lol, sure you know what i mean, and to make sure i dont dis-respect this forum we will have to leave it at that. However, this "newdotnet" uninstaller is part of a program that is part of a bunch of programs with a sort of "gui" or main interface. And, indeed, the newdotnet uninstaller is likely part of the "quarantine", something like that.
So i believe that you have partly solved this but it begs the question, how do you copy quarantine files? I have tried all the ways i mentioned in my initial post. Is there any other way that i dont know of?

thanks

Edited by nork, 23 October 2006 - 11:53 AM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

If it is a file inside a program you haven't installed, I would strongly recommend that you do not install that program, because if you do you could then be infected with this NewDotNet. I would advise deleting that program.

By the by what is the program that has that pesky file in it?

Below are links to two sites the discuss just what NewDotNet is and what it does:

http://www.cexx.org/newnet.htm

http://www.antisource.com/article.php/newdotnet

One thing that is clear to me is if this program gets on your computer, your internet connection will be severely compromised.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 nork

nork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

It is inside a large prog that i downloaded. I cant say too much here but if you want to pm or email me then i can tell you more.
The name of it is: The ultimate tech cd v3.0
It is bootable and is supposed to help with troubleshooting.
The file in question is part of the antimalware\antispyware section and the file in question would likely uninstall that dreaded newdotnet as it is a newdotnet uninstaller, not an installer.

The whole thing is a good thing, its a whole bunch of programs that are designed to troubleshoot, its just that i cant seem to copy, move, burn, or even archive that one file, the newdotnet uninstaller.

As i said, if you want more info than that, in order for me to remain a member in good standing, i cant say any more about this, you would have to email or pm me. If you plan on it, I would suggest email but pm is ok. By the way, the program is over 600 mbs.

Also, just in case someone thinks i am referring to the well-known "ultimate boot cd", no, this is the ultimate tech cd v3.0.

thanks

Edited by nork, 23 October 2006 - 12:58 PM.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

I do not provide advice via PM as one of the primary reasons I participate in this forum is to benefit others. Secondly, I would not contact anyone I don't know via e-mail as this would reveal my e-mail address to an unknown. This is a general internet safety measure that everyone should be wise to follow.

If you cannot post the required information on the public board . . .
----------
A general warning: Please note that software that is not obtained through proper channels is often infected with bad stuff, and this can destroy your computer. Is it really worth it? Check out the download website for the software and see if it is a legitimate site. If it isn't, don't go there and don't use the software they offer. Even if the software itself is a good program, if it comes off a questionable site, don't trust it. Even if the software itself isn't infected, you won't be able to get support for it if you run into a problem. At worst you will completely destroy your computer, compromise all the sensitive information on your computer and possibly get into legal difficulties depending on the nature of the compromise and the software in question.

Orange Blossom

#11 nork

nork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

Okay, i have found this using google, i dont think i am breaking any rules by posting this google search. You will note, though, that there is reference to version 1 and 2, but so far i havent seen reference to v3.0, which is what i have. Im sure its there on one of the pages, i just havent looked thru these pages:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...e+technician+cd

#12 nork

nork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

Orangeblossom, gimme a break!!
I can dispell all your theories. I have had the same win xp pro running for 4 yrs now, not a problem. When i download something i scan it.
I have a ton of programs on my pc and all is well.
And i receive email and pms from various forum members every day!!!!
Get off your high horse and come on down to earth with the rest of us.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:03 PM

Offense was not intended. I was providing a general purpose warning - not one specifically addressed to you. Many computer users in fact do not scan their downloads before using them. Many computer users don't know a thing about computer security - I meet them every day.

Regarding PMs and e-mails, I stated what my personal policy is, and in general it is unwise to send an e-mail to an unknown recipient just as it is unwise to accept a ride from a stranger. There are, of course, exceptions. Most of my computing experience has been on public terminals - so call me paranoid.

Orange Blossom

#14 nork

nork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

When you make a statement like that in a persons thread there is only one way for comments like that to be taken. And only one way for me to respond to statements made in such a manner. In other words, it seems as though you are saying that i am foolish and dont know the minimum criteria for looking out for myself on the net. On the contrary.

If no meant no offence to me then i accept that and this ends.

You said "so call me paranoid." I dont know about that but i think you might just be a bit that way, cant say for sure, lol. No hidden meaning there, just an attempt at light humor is all.
Over and done, forgotten about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users