Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hd: How Can I Install Drivers Without Cd?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

I just installed a new hard drive, because the other one is bad. I installed my XP Pro os and everything thing is fine, but the sound, network, and I believe a US driver is listed in the (Unknown) hardware in the Device Manager.

I don't have the cd's that are for the network adapter or the other drivers, and I'm not able to connect to the Internet so I can download them.

Since I don't have the cd's to install the drivers to the other hardware, nor can I connect to the Internet, how can I get those drivers installed?

Thanks in advance for your valued time.

Walkman

One Man's Opinion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hi, this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

this free program will tell you, sometime even connect you to maker's of the missing drivers

everest old free verson
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=everesthome
everyday is a gift

#3 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

The Computer is a:

Intel Pentium 4
2.41 GHz
512 MB of Ram
Windows XP Pro / SP1

I believe the computer is about 2 years old, at most. It's a business partner/friend of mines computer. He brought it by my house Thursday, along with the new HD, but he didn't bring any of the cd's.

I'm looking at the Device Manager now... here's the Unknown devices.
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
SM Bus Controller

Although I have my computer able to access the Internet to download the drivers for it, I have installed windows XP quite a few times and although I may not have had all the drivers I needed, I was at least able to go online to download the drivers, from that computer.

I know I could use this computer to download the drivers, but I'm trying to figure out why I'm not able to do it on a freshly installed os.

Walkman

Edited by Walkman, 22 October 2006 - 08:59 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

Is this a brand name computer?

If so, please give us the brand and the model number.

As far as Everest, download V1.51 from oldversion.com because it is the last freeware version that has a software module which you will find extremely useful in the future.

I installed my XP Pro

He brought it by my house Thursday, along with the new HD, but he didn't bring any of the cd's.

How did you install XP Pro without HIS XP Pro cd, the one that belongs to your friends computer? Did you have the unique 25 digit key number for the installation that was on HIS computer (not the one installed on yours?)

#5 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

The computer has no name at all on the case. It was brand new from a computer repair shop that also sold computers. So, there's no model number or name on it at all..

He did however supply me with the original xp cd. I've used that same cd to install os's on 3 other computers of his in the past.

Walkman
One Man's Opinion

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

How did you get all but the one the license was for to authenticate?

Everest will give you the name of the motherboard manufacturer which hopefully will have drivers on their support site you can download for the ethernet and sound controllers and the driver for the SM bus.

#7 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

How did you get all but the one the license was for to authenticate?

That's a question I have no answer for. I just installed the xp on his computers and even without the motherboard cd's, I was always able to still connect to the Internet. The only thing that I can think of that could be not allowing the "default" installations of those drivers is that there may be a rootkit on the cd, which probably writes/logs bak to itself how many times that serial/key have been used. That's just a thought.

I do believe that a person that legally owns a copy of xp is allowed to install it on every computer he/she owns. Am I wrong?

Before I could easily install a "default" driver, just to get things installed, then go online to get the correct one. Once I get this problem resolved, I'm going to install the xp on other hard drives I have and see if it'll automatically instasll default drivers or not. I wouldn't be surprised if rootkits are embedded into the MS os's cd's.

Walkman
One Man's Opinion

#8 nork

nork

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

You can install win xp on different pcs if your os is a site licence. But if you only have a standard copy of win xp pro then you are only allowed to have it on one pc at a time, as far as i know.
Luckily, i have a site licence, so i dont run into any issues at all, i get all the downloads and such and dont even have to register. I dont have to activate either, just install and go.

On the other hand, when you install an os on a pc, the os may or may not have the drivers for the motherboard you have. But if not its not a big deal. Simply find out the motherboards make and model and go to their website and download what drivers you need and install them.
Its pretty easy but it can appear complicated at first. Anyway, its not the fault of the os. All it means is that the motherboard chipset came out after the os came out or that there are peripheral cards that are newer than the os, thus you have to install the drivers yourself.

Edited by nork, 22 October 2006 - 10:48 PM.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

I do believe that a person that legally owns a copy of xp is allowed to install it on every computer he/she owns. Am I wrong?

You are wrong except for Enterprise Agreement Licenses.

What type of license does the software have that you are installing?

If it is an OEM license it is good only on one computer (motherboard)- the first computer it was installed on. It cannot be transferred or installed on another computer or a different motherboard with the one exception of the motherboard being replaced with the exact same motherboard under warranty by the original oem.

The second type of license is a retail version: This license, good for installation on only one computer, can be transferred to a new or different computer/motherboard but the owner must convince Microsoft that it has been removed from the original computer/motherboard and/or that the computer or motherboard has been destroyed or made inoperable when the attempt is made to activate Windows on the new computer/motherboard.

In the case of both of the above, activation must be completed withing 30 days from when the computer was first powered on or XP will shut down and become totally unuseable.

The third type is the Microsoft Enterprise Agreement which is a Volume Licensing program for large organizations that have 250 or more desktop and laptop PCs.

It is the only type that does not require separate activation for each computer.

#10 nork

nork

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

Thats what i have, the Enterprise Agreement License. Its been a blessing.

Edited by nork, 23 October 2006 - 11:02 AM.

#11 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I've gotten the problem fixed by having the computer owner bring over his motherboard cd. The issue doesn't seem to be a MicrO$oft issue. The issue was that the cd's were needed to install the drivers. All is good.

On the notes as far as the licensing, you've all made correct points, and I thank you all for that. I read their user agreement on their site, and this will have to be discussed in a different thread, but I read something that can, and will probably raise alot of debate. But... "Oh Well"......

Whatever you all do, please don't take this the wrong way.... ok?

I've concentrated on this section of their version of the EULA of Office/XP versions.
Microsoft source:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx

Q. What happens when you try to install and activate on more PCs than the end user license agreement (EULA) allows?

A. Per the EULA, installing on more PCs than the EULA allows would be in violation of the EULA. Technically, product activation does not limit the number of PCs the software can be installed on. It would be possible technically to install the software on, for example, 100 PCs. Activation would fail though on 99 (98 for Office XP or Office 2003) of those 100 PCs thereby limiting the usefulness of the illegal installation. Outside of an activation attempt, Microsoft does not know how many PCs Windows XP, Office XP family product, or Office 2003 System product have been installed on.

The words
would
Technically
does not limit

could be argued by attorneys all day long because those words do NOT specifically identify what they mean, nor what they pertain to, technically.

In the first sentence where the word would is bold, tells that it may, or may not be a violation. The word would has no definite meaning in making an exact distinctive point/law/reference to such subject in the EULA about such program(s)/software(s).

It is very clear and openly honest to say "Per the EULA, installing on more PCs than the EULA allows is against the law AND in violation of the EULA". That clearly states the nature of that part of the agreement/EULA, and no one could challenge that part and win.

In the second sentence where is says...... Technically, product activation does not limit the number of PCs the software can be installed on. Now check this out... If a license agreement/EULA allows you to ONLY install on limited computers, then why is it that it's said that there is a limit that you ARE ALLOWED to install on, but then then states that the installations will fail at 99 installations.. 98 on the other?

My point is this...... if I'm ONLY ALLOWED 1-2 concurrent installations at one time, why is it NOT blocked on those many installations,,,, but instead let you try to do 98+ installations before it fails? Does that raise any questions to anyone. If that's such an agreement they want enforced, I'm wondering how they can stop activations after 98+, but NOT on any installations less than that.

Since I get computers donated to me, and I install operating systems just to make sure the computer doesn't need to be trashed (before I strip it down)... I install my operating sys on them all, and I test all the functions, even the Internet, just to make sure everything is working, why would I need and (or) want to pay for the same thing that I aleready rightfully paid for?

I've installed one xp operating system on numerous computers with no problems at all (not 98+), and many of them were 100% different computers, and they all activated. Once they work ok, I donate them away to needy sources, (without the OS) and the ones that aren't good enough to use, I salvage what I can from them.

I'm not in any computer buying/selling business,,, and I never want to do that either, but there is a thick line of understanding the legal and rightful rights of what people pay for, and this is what people are missing. The true meaning of what an EULA really means.

As long as I'm not selling computers with operating systems on them, I don't believe I'm breaking any laws. Also, I haven't read anywhere on Micr0$0ft$ where it says it's either the law, or against the law to do so either. And I've been activating computers for years, many with the same product information, and have never had any trouble doing so, although they're not all online together either.

Like I said, this may be a debateable issue, but I just wanted to tell you all that my problem has been fixed, and this is also my personal opinion of the EULA of their product(s). I do have a brand new 160G HD, and I'm going to install UNIX on that system.. Fedora 5,, i believe that's what I downloaded, and ween myself away from the Micr0$0ft altogether. I've already done it with Frontpage, since '98 - 2004,,, and now using DreamweaverMX, and I'll NEVER go back to FrontPage again.

Like I said,, no offense to anyone that reads this... this is just my opinion only. My opinion.

Thanks for your valued time.

Walkman
One Man's Opinion

Edited by Walkman, 24 October 2006 - 07:15 PM.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

The bottom line is that if you do not activate a retail license application or an OEM application the operating system will shut down and become unuseable.
For Microsoft operating systems that is installation on ONE pc, in fact, only ONE installation on ONE pc. You cannot even install it on two different hard drives on the same computer.

The Enterprise licensing is different as the software does not require activation and the license allows for installation on the number range of computers contracted for, but any installation, even one installed under an Enterprise agreement will require Windows Genuine Advantage validation when additional downloads from Microsoft are requested.

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 October 2006 - 08:49 PM.

#13 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

Enthusiast said,

For Microsoft operating systems that is installation on ONE pc, in fact, only ONE installation on ONE pc. You cannot even install it on two different hard drives on the same computer.

If you mean that the EULA denies you that right to do so, I won't argue with that. But if you are saying that mechanically/technically it won't work, that's not true. As a matter of fact, I have a 20G with XP Pro on it, and I installed a 120G with the same XP disc on it, and I now have the 120G used as storage on that same pc, with the same os on it as the other one. And I sometimes load the 120G as the master on this same pc and I've never had a problem,, even to this day.

Walkman
One Man's Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users