Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Pc With Xp Pro In Ms Dos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Candicane

Candicane

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

A friend brought his computer to me and I found that he is missing files on his pc. he no longer has the xp pro disk so I am trying to install my win 98 disk and then upgrading to xp. Problem is I can't seem to get the computer to start in ms dos. I have made boot disks for xp pro and when restarting the pc there is no prompt to start from the boot disk. I have never had to reinstall after installing xp so I have no idea what I am doing wrong. HELP. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

Hi, this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

why do you wish to first install window 98 in fat32, and then upgrade to XP which is ntfs and which XPos are you thinking of, something seems odd

Edited by fleamailman, 22 October 2006 - 05:32 PM.

everyday is a gift

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

Ensure that the CD-ROM is the first boot device. Check the BIOS to see. Once the CD-ROM is put in first position, you should see a prompt asking you to press any key to boot from CD.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

How are you going to upgrade to XP from W98?

Do you have a disk for an upgrade version of XP that has never been used on any other computer to install Windows XP and do you have the unique 25 digit key number that came on the COA that accompanied it - again - one that has never been used to install Windows XP on any other computer?

The best thing to do would be to make your friend find the original Windows XP CD for his computer.
That would insure his legitimate version which has already been activated with Microsoft would remain on his computer.

If he absolutely cannot find the disk that came with the computer, make sure you have the key number from his installation to keep should you really need to reinstall XP on his machine. If you do not know what it is you can download Keyfinder from magicaljellybean.com which will provide it for you.

Borrow a full installation Windows XP Pro cd. Unless your friend's installation is completely hosed you are not going to reinstall XP, but use it to run the System File Checker utility which will replace missing or corrupted system files.

to do that:

Start -> Run and type in
cmd

Then, in the black box that appears (DOS emulator), type

sfc /scannow

Make sure that you leave a space between the sfc and the /.

Windows will then check that all operating system files are in place and original.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users