Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Networking Problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ONE

ONE

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

Hey all of you computer savvy people,

I recently setup comcast cable internet at my house. I bought the Linksys WRT54G wireless router. It has been setup and is running great. I have a strong signal, but I'm wired to it. So that part works fine. I then setup the laptop in the house to be on the network; excellent connection works great.

Two down with one to go and I was on a roll; considering I'm new to the whole networking thing.

I wired the last computer, a desktop running XP Home Edition, to the router; as were the instruction to do so. I connected to the internet and everything was going well, I downloaded all the lastest updates for the firewalls and anti-virus software. The last step was to download and run a program off linksys.com to setup the computer to be wireless.

Foolishly before I did the final step I decided to tweak some of the internet options. I noticed on this computer it had a dial-up option setup, MSN, under connections, in Internet options; which was how it previously connected to the internet. I decided that it was not necessary because this was cable internet which was directly plugged into the computer via ethernet and was about to be wireless; so I deleted the dial-up connection option.

Now I cannot connect to the internet at all on the computer. The computer keeps trying to dial-up the connection. I have tried to setup a new network connection, a new dial up connection, and a broadband connection; nothing works. This computer does have a USb wireless adapter attached to it; a 802.11g which is setup on the network.

This is where you computer savvy guys come in, if someone out there has any clues whatsoever please reply and I will try them out.

Thanks as always for the info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

Does the router have an option to turn everything back to it's "Default" settings.
I'd be looking for something like this to start with then start the setup process again without deleting anything.

Just my 2 cents worth :-)
JTH

#3 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

ok....I just re-read your post.

Forget about the router settings.

You should have just set your Internet settings to "Never dial a connection" and then set up using the "Set up a connection" wizard for a Broadband connection and make it the default connection.
JTH

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

When did you do this?

If you know what date it was use Windows System Restore to undo what you did.

click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Choose a date from before you changed or deleted settings.

Follow on-screen direstions.

#5 ONE

ONE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

I tried doing a system restore for a few days earlier. This worked by giving the original MSN dial-up connection but I still have no connection to the internet. I swear I have tried everything, but must be missing some small detail. Please offer any advise you have.

-Thanks

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

Use the make a new wireless connection wizard in your control panel to set up a new connection to your router.

stat/settings/control panel/wireless network setup wizard

#7 ONE

ONE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

I feel like I already tried that, but I will try again when I get off of work tonight. Is there anything else that I might try; in case you are not online later tonight?

#8 ONE

ONE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:59 AM

I went in to setup a new wireless network and it prompted me to add a new computer to my linksys router. I used my thumb drive to copy all the info from the computer already on the network. When I openned the thumb drive it asked if I wanted to add this computer to my network, I clicked okay.
This message poped up:

--The wizard cannot create a wireless network, either because a wireless network adapter is not installed or because software for the wireless adapter is not installed.--

The wireless adapter was used at my previous house on another network. I no longer have the software to install the drivers needed. I will search the web and see if I can get them from the vendor for free. If not is there some other way to install this device on this computer again without the specific software, or do I need to just go and buy a new wireless adapter?

Thanks again for all your help. I hope I can help out someday as well.

#9 mnlakediver

mnlakediver

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:31 AM

is the computer still wired to the router?
if so go to start...control panel...switch to classic view...network connections...local area connection.
click on the support tab is the address type assinged by dhcp? it should be 192.168.x.x.

if this is the case then your tcp/ip is connecting to the router.

next open internet explorer. go to tools internet options...connections tab. set to never dial a connection click on the lan settings button click automatically dectet settings.

try to access a web site.
yes done

no
start...run type "cmd" enter

ping router 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.0.1 cant remember off top of head.
success then ping 66.94.234.13
is success the ping yahoo.com

if you can ping by number not name then dns error

disable fire wall and try again if succesful then check fire wall settings.

you can bypass the trouble shooting and turn off fire wall first but we wont know witch layer is affected.

also try booting in safe mode and trying I have seen norton not disable when it says it has.

#10 ONE

ONE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:53 PM

So I finally got around to trying this lastest suggestion. The attempt at configuring the local area connection failled. So I tried to ping the router. 192.168.0.1 worked fine but it failed to reach 66.94.234.13 and yahoo.com also failed.

I'm currently removing the old Norton files, because I now own different PC protection software. I will not update this computer with the new software until it is fully connected to the internet.

I will try again, and then again in safe mode.

I thought I would drop a line and see if anyone had any ideas about what is happening with the current updates in information concerning this situation.

-Thanks all for the help, keep up the good work.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

I would guess that this is a firewall issue with an installed software firewall. If it's not the case, then there's something in the networking setup that's preventing a network connection outside of your LAN.

For starters, I'd suggest resetting your TCP/IP. Here's a link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 ONE

ONE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:45 AM

Could I not be receiving a ping response because my host computer has a firewall that does not accept ICMP requests??

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

It's possible - but IMO opinion not really likely.

To troubleshoot this sort of connectivity problem, it's advisable to disable all the security stuff (physically disconnect the cable to stay off the web whenever possible and watch your connection when connected to ensure you're not being hacked!). Then attempt to setup the basic network again, ensure that it works, then add the security stuff back in (testing each iteration to ensure that the problem hasn't resurfaced).

Edited by usasma, 30 October 2006 - 10:31 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

Have you checked the device manager to be sure the wireless usb is enabled and functioning properly?

#15 ONE

ONE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:11 AM

I actually had not yet installed the wireless router drivers. BUT....

I finally got it to work. Wired at least, I can now connect to the internet thru the router just fine. YEAH!!!

Now I have downloaded and installed the wireless adapter drivers, and have setup a network connection for the computer to recognize and run the internet thru a wireless connection via the router.

Now for the new problem, I can't seem to get a strong connection, wirelessly. First it said there was not a good enough connection, or strong enough signal. Now it won't even show my network as an option in network connection.

What is going on...???

The device manager says everything is working properly. Strange though it seems to have two network adapters; the one I just installed and a REALTEK, maybe that is the ethernet connection, I'm not sure yet. I will do some research, but if anyone knows anything please respond

Thanks as always for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users