Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emptying Norton Protected Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moksha

moksha

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:09 AM

I have recently been attacked by a virus which I believe is all clear however in my Norton Systemworks 2005 protected recycle bin are the files rtstv.bak2 URL.dat and 1498 copies of rtstv.ini their original location was windows\system32. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them Purging the recycle bin does not work thanks in advance Moksha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:21 AM

The link below has the answer:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/...rotected_s.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 moksha

moksha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:59 AM

hi Buddy I tried that, the tutorial they give says to click on the Remove Norton Protection Tab this tab is not available and when I click empty norton protected files it makes nice noises then that tab greys out however if I go back to The recycle bin they are back there

#4 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:25 AM

Hello moksha,

If you are still using Norton then you may want to use this fix with caution, as it will completely empty,delete and remove you NPROTECT folder containing the virus left overs.

If you no longer use Norton or dont want the NPROTECT folder you can use the link below without any concerns.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/56202/how-to-remove-the-nprotect-folder-after-deletion-of-system-works/

Please read this carefully and decide if you want to remove the folder as once it is gone, it is gone for good! It will then leave your originally recycle bin in its place.

It should also be pointed out though, that whatever your virus scans pick up in your NPROTECT folder, that they cant do you any harm. Once they are in there, they are behind bars so to speak, unless you allow them back out. I had the same issue with my NPROTECT folder and 3 virus traces, but kept them there until i rid myself of Norton (one of the better decisions i made). Now i use a completely different anti-virus and so removed the folder.

Regards,
Graveangel
:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#5 moksha

moksha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:23 PM

Thanks Graveangel I managed sometime late last night to actually find out how to empty the protected bin at the symantec website, they were more interested in restoring the information there which is a bit scary when it is 1500 times 384kb of virus files. I am definitely in the market for some AV and firewall software that works Moksha

#6 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

No probs, glad you got it all sorted in the end.

If you are wanting a new AV, you could try some of the free ones highly recommended by the experts here. If on the other hand you choose to pay for one i recommend F-Secure (I use this one) or Kaspersky. Two great Av's that do not eat system resources like Norton does!

Happy browsing!
:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

I've been trying out avast! Anti-virus free and I find it to be good product and relatively light on my resources. I have only 256 MB of RAM. Note that !avast does flag a file that is part of Panda's Online Scanner program and its related file in System restore.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users