Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 moksha

moksha

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:35 AM

Hello I have decided to take things into my own hands with a little help from the experts after a well known AV program failed to protect our computer 3 times in as many weeks. The first time I actually paid them to fix the problem when they used smitrem.exe a program designed by members of this site I believe I thought this is crazy they also used hijackthis. A quick search of their website and they suggested hijackthis was a dangerous program which acted to scare good people like myself away from sites like this. The final time today a worm w32 stration.cx@mm went straight past its auto protect program and briefly caused chaos with our system even though it was listed in their definitions, I am looking forward to keeping our computer tweaked with the help of all you fine folk out there cheers Moksha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

Posted Image moksha
I'm sure you will find everything you need to know here.
It's good to see you here at BC :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

Hello, moksha.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

HijackThis is potentially a dangerous program, if you attempt to use it without the aid of someone who has been trained in it's use.
Spaces, extra characters, spelling, file location, plus numerous other subtle changes, all make the difference between a good, or bad, file entry.
Removing entries in HJT before the problem is properly identified, and correct removal instructions posted, can make the problem undetectable to other detection and removal tools.
Hijack this should only be used to clean up the entries left behind, after you have properly removed the offending program, file, trojan, worm, hijacker, etc.
And this usually requires help.

Fortunately, our team is very well trained, and will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
If you feel you have the need to have a log examined, read the Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

Welcome to BC!
HJT should only be used as a diagnostic tool, and it certainly is not the panacea many people think it to be. Having one of our volunteer experts, who work with the logs daily and who can help you step-by-step rid your hard drive of malware, is the best solution.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users