Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MAR-MAT-MAL

MAR-MAT-MAL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:50 AM

Hi, all. This is my first post on the forum.

When I boot up the computer, the drive emits a continuous low growl, and although all installed software seems to work normally, and I can connect to the internet, I am worried that there might be a serious underlying problem. Also, the cursor on the screen flickers in a way it never has before.

Any thoughts/help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Marmatmal :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:00 AM

The very, very first thing to do is to backup anything that you can get off of the hard drive! Do it right now and you may be able to save your valuable information.

If you wait, it could cost you from $600 to $1800 to recover the data from a truly dead drive (this was the quote for my 80 gB drive that died about a year ago).

Once that's done, try this free utility to check the SMART status of your drive: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php Just click on the SMART tab to view your drive's status.

Then, plan on getting a new drive (the test will likely show many problems with the drive). Also, you'll need to have the recovery disks or XP installation disks available to reinstall Windows.

Edited by usasma, 22 October 2006 - 08:01 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MAR-MAT-MAL

MAR-MAT-MAL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for that, John; I'll do that now!

Cheers,

Marmatmal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users