Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sporadic Hang-ups

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TexasPrairieGal

TexasPrairieGal

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:03 PM

Where to begin? Here's what I have (had to look all of this up):
Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2
Norton Internet Security 2006
HP Compac dc7100
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
3.19GHz, 0.00 GB of RAM
74.5 GB Drive C
Router: Linksys WRT54GL
Internet: T-Lab Wireless

I am NOT super knowledgable, so hopefully I can explain my problem.
We are a small home run network, 3 computers (mine, my husbands, my Mom)

We are very rural and have always struggled with internet services (slow and not many options). Several years ago we were able to switch from dial-up to Satellite (it was like discovering fire... our dial up was 22K at its very best). The latency was annoying, altho still dramatic better connect speeds than with dial-up. Sometime during our Satellite days hubby and I went wireless on our home network... him first. Eventually he installed a Linksys WUSB54GC on my computer (annoying what it did to my log-in and shut down screens, but otherwise just great). On Sep 27, 2006, we entered the 21st century and got a Wireless Broadband service provider. OMG... what a difference!!!

HOWEVER, that's when MY problems began. Periodically my computer will freeze or hang-up. I can have anywhere from 5 to 15+ windows open when this happens, it's totally variable. I can move my mouse around, but I'll have virtually no Windows functionality. I cannot rite click, I cannot cannot engage Task Manager, I cannot get a CMD prompt...on the taskbar where I have the minimized applications (like 7Explorer), I should be able to place my cursor there and a little window will pop up showing what each IE window is but that little window will NOT come up. If my IE windows are collapsed, there is NO way to get to them. The only thing I can do... and that's IF I have a window up on my screen at the time.... is rite click on an X to shut down a window. Sometimes if I can get a window shut down, then I can "reuse" that resource (or whatever it's called) and then any request that would use one more window will work. Sometimes, however, it just keeps backing me down and the # of windows I can have open get fewer and fewer. I discover the "freeze" when a new window won't open, when right click stops working, when I can't get to the address book when I'm writing an email, etc etc... It's not program specific. I always have email open. I always have several explorer windows open. I may or may not have other programs open. Sometimes in total frustration I just restart my computer.

Husband does not encounter this problem at all. Here's what we've tried. Hubby hooked me back up to the satellite... problem went away. He hooked me back up to the wireless... problem came back. The only thing I had on my computer that was different from hubby was a more current Linksys (and I hated the way it made me log-on as Admin and bla bla bla)... so we removed the Linksys wireless from my computer, did an Uninstall, and hardwired me to the Wireless. That has not solved the problem. I ran a full system scan, totally clean.

I can't tell you anything other than what windows I have open when this occurs (since I can't get ANYTHING to open... not a CMD prompt, not TM, not nuthin'...).... I always have my email open: Outlook Express. I may have from 3-10 IE windows open. I may or may not have other programs open... Doesn't seem to matter. Somehow just ME seems to be butting heads with the T-Lab wireless... but not always.

There's nothing in Dr. Watson log at all. There's nothing consistent in the Event Log that we can see....

HELP!!! Where do we start to troubleshoot? If I go back to satellite the problem goes BOOF, but it's like walking in molasses. (grief... I think I'm starting to whine.....)

Thanks to anyone and everyone who can help me... I'm desperate in the middle of nowhere Texas..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasPrairieGal

TexasPrairieGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

I need to correct a small error in my post...
I have .99GB of RAM... not .00GB
Sorry...

#3 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:13 AM

Hi, welcome to bleeps
this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer = HP Compac dc7100
- what os, XPpro or home = xp pro
- how old is it =

to topic then
could you take this problem to security here first before we start tinkering with the system, let's hope it is just malware http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
everyday is a gift

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

Do the others also have Norton Internet Security? If not, then I'd suspect that it was the culprit (based on previously unexplained problems with my wife's system that were fixed by disabling it).

I'd suggest disabling the NIS and seeing if you can function normally without it (but don't leave it disabled!).

Also, please give this free, online scan a try: http://safety.live.com/

After that, we'll try deleting your network connection (and the adapter if necessary) and then reinstalling them at default values to see if this helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

I have .99GB of RAM... not .00GB

You can't have .99gb Ram.

Ram comes in multiples of 64MB and the minimum Microsoft states is necessary to run XP is 128MB of RAM or higher recommended although nowadays the minimum for reasonable performance is considered to be 512MB and higher if you are running multiple windows concurently open or programs such as graphics programs that consume large amounts of resources.

When you say you are using a different "Linksis" are you saying you are using more than one router to access one broadband connection or are you talking about the USB wireless adapter you were using for your computer? If so, have you tried just hard wiring your computer to the router using the ethernet card?

What did you use to scan your computer with and what did you scan for?

Try the folowing:

First, do an on-line scan using the Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

After it completes, write down what if anything it found and fixed, and list it here.

Then reboot your computer.

Download Everest Home Edition V1.51 from oldversion.com

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more.
Get version 1.51 which is the last freeware version that includes the software module which lists all software installed on your computer and provides all the license key numbers a great tool which has been deleted from all successive freeware versions.

Download here:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=everesthome

One you install it, open it and then click on the + to the left of the motherboard category to open the tree, then click on "SPD"
What does it tell you is the RAM installed (Top right side frame)?

#6 TexasPrairieGal

TexasPrairieGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

Gosh... I don't know where to begin to thank y'all..... Several people responded, so I may or may not remember all the questions and etc, but I'll try....

1. For the person who said I could not have 0.99GB of RAM... I've gone back to the Control Panel and clicked on system... It clearly reads: 3.19GHz 0.99GB of RAM (exactly like that on the last row). Isn't that just 1/100th shy of 1GB??? Pretty sure that's what we ordered with my computer

2. Yes, everyone on our network has the same Norton protection that I do.

3. I ran a full system scan using Norton (and you're rite, it took an hour or so....). It came out absolutely and totally error free

4. The Linksys that we uninstalled from my computer was a wireless adapter. We then hardwired me to the router. It didn't help one bit.

5. I've had this computer not quite a year now

We tried one last thing last nite on our own... My husband deleted my network connection. He unplugged me from the router and then deleted everything and then plugged me back in and reestablished it. Hard to know if it has helped yet or not. The problem is really sporadic... Might only happen once in any given 24 hour perioud... Mite not happen at all... Mite happen 3-4 times... So then, when we try something... the question becomes, how long do I need to go without the problem occuring before I can take a breath and say YEA????

One curious thing did happen after he reestablished my Network connection, tho... And that is the order in which shortcut windows open. If it's a shortcut from my Desktop, it now opens behind all other windows I have open. Out of curiousity, I dragged one of the shortcuts over to my start menu... A shortcut from the start menu will open a window on TOP of anything else open. So..... desktop shortcut = behind... Start meni shortcut = in front. The kicker is, apparently that started happening for hubby right after we got the wireless Broadband on Sep27... he just never mentioned it. Well... I get cranky when even the smallest things change in the way my computer functions, so I mentioned it rite away. Now we're wondering if it my be an omen that my problem is gone? Since I'm now experiencing the same little oddity that he is???

I'll be back to keep y'all posted. For now I'm going to give it a couple of days to see if reestablishing the network did the trick. If not, I'll be back to try the other steps y'all have outlined for me.

Thanks sooooooooooooooo much!

#7 TexasPrairieGal

TexasPrairieGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:09 PM

Just a quick update. For those of you who suggested I run the Windows One Care Free Scan... I went ahead and did that this afternoon (just to be on the safe side). It found only 5 "issues" (something called Bagle.CT??)... BUT, all of those issues had already been quarantined by Norton/Semantic... Aside from that no errors at all (altho it did recommend I deframent, which I also did)...

Sure do appreciate all of the kind advice. This is the friendliest and most helpful Forum I've found. You're all awesome, and I will keep you posted.

#8 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:40 PM

sorry, I am finding so much detail that I am losing sight of the nature of the problem.
questions:
- how does your husband link your laptop up to the Internet without problems whereas you link up the same computer and have them
- so I think we are talking about two different devices, what are the names and serial numbers written on his and yours,
- also is it wireless connects in both cases
everyday is a gift

#9 TexasPrairieGal

TexasPrairieGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

It's ok.... we're confused too.... (alot)

1. I have an HP tower, not a laptop
2. Actually we have 4 computers... all are towers except for one laptop
3. My computer is now hardwired to the Linksys router and thus to the T-Lab wireless internet service. My Mom's computer is hardwired to the router. The laptop and 4th computer tower are connected to the router via wireless adapter.
4. I did have a wireless adapter (Linksys WUSB54GC). We thot that it mite have been the problem so we uninstalled it and hardwired me to the router... it didn't help
5. We don't know why I've had the problem but noone else has the problem. My adapter was the only thing that was different so we ditched it and hardwired me to the router... but obviously it was not an adapter caused problem.
6. As of last nite, our last "let's try this" was to reinitialize MY network connection from scratch. However, I can't say that's fixed the problem until I go for a week without the quirky little hangup occuring, the problem is that unpredictable... For rite now it hasn't happened since we did that... Then again, I haven't been doing much computer work since then...

What keeps running thru my mind is that ONLY I have the problem... and ONLY when using the T-LAB wireless broadband internet service. If I'm connected to the internet via satellite, or via dial-up I do NOT experience the problem. And I WAS using the wireless adapter with the satellite connection and it worked fine without any problems....

If you're confused, imagine what we are... You know TONS more than we do... Hopefully some of what I've just added will clarify things somewhat?

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

1) On my system it used to report .99 gB of RAM - it has something to do with the translation between the RAM, the mobo, and Windows. But, if you see .99 gB it's safe to assume that there's 1 gB of RAM available.

2) IMO, NIS is a piece of garbage (but my wife won't let me "fix" it for her!). I'd suggest either turning it off temporarily - or using another solution to see if this is causing your problems.

3) Scans are good - the more the better! It ensures us that the system is malware free. Without this, most attempts to fix something are doomed to failure. Your comments on the scan results shows that the scans were thorough enough to find stuff in quarantine.

4) While changing the connection from wireless to wired is good - did you resetup your network? This can cause these problems also. (oops, you stated later that this was done - good!)

So, since the problem isn't occurring now, let's see how it works out. After a time without the problem - maybe then we can venture back to the wireless adapter and test it out (but first we'll need to be sure that you're problem free).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 TexasPrairieGal

TexasPrairieGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

lol... I used to feel that way about Norton, too... Couple of years ago it gave me all kinds of grief. But my husband is an adamant user and just like you, "peace in the family" is important. I haven't had any problems at all with NOS lately (knock on wood).

I keep feeling there's some sort of conflict between my computer and the T-Lab wireless broadband. Why it only crops up every once in a while has us baffled. I, too, hope the reinitializing of my Network stuff does the trick. But I do want to be connected to the router via wireless adapter... Right now I'm looking at a cable snaking into the air behind my desk, and it's pretty unsightly.

Sure wish the problem weren't soooo gosh darned sporadic. It makes it tough to know what works and what doesn't. If it's still not a problem after a week, I'll be back to see if you can help me try the wireless adapter again. Altho I'd like one that doesn't mess with my log on and etc. Seems the Linksys adapter I had put some GTGina.dll file into the registry or someplace that locks you into Admin log in only... Thankfully it disappeared when we uninstalled it. Hubby has an earlier Linksys adapter that doesn't do any of that...

Thanks again soooooo much.

P.S. Any ideas on how to make ALL shortcuts open a window on TOP of anything else you have open?

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

It found only 5 "issues" (something called Bagle.CT??)... BUT, all of those issues had already been quarantined by Norton/Semantic..

"There have been a lot of new Bagle modifications in the last 24 hours. And they're continuing, either being spammed, or by previous versions downloading updates to themselves from the Internet. All of this frantic activity is aimed at maintaining the network of infected computers, by finding new victim machines, infecting them, and conscripting them into the network.

We've intercepted at least 20 new versions, and are now up to Bagle.dh. They are showing no signs of stopping at the moment."
http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?calendar=2005-09

It is a virulent little bugger, keeps replicating itself and changing its variants.
Norton quarantining it may not have stopped it.

What I suggest you do is have Norton delete it, then empty your recycle bin and shut off your System Restore, thereby dumping all your restore points.

Reboot and scan again with either Norton or OneCare.
Let them clean what they find.

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log in our “Hijack This” Logs and Analysis Forum for expert assistance with your malware infection.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis Logs and Analysis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 October 2006 - 08:56 PM.

#13 TexasPrairieGal

TexasPrairieGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:32 PM

Appreciate very much your advice about the BagleCT thingie.. I neglected to mention that Windows One Care Free Scan deleted the files that Norton had quarantined. I did run a second scan after I defragmented (just to be certain all was well) and there were no problems or issues found. WHEW!!!

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

I still suggest that you post a HJT log as that might discover Bagle hiding in unexpected places in the registry waiting to pop out again. It is persistent and virulent!

Once you are certain that it is gone and you have no other malware clear your System Restore Points (shut System Restore off, reboot and than turn it back on).

#15 TexasPrairieGal

TexasPrairieGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

I am REALLY frustrated. My problem has NOT gone away. I can eliminate it by reconnecting to the Satellite internet service. When I reconnect to the T-LAB wireless internet service the problem starts all over again. WHY ME and noone else on our network???

Waaaaaaaaaaa.....

OK, 1st I'm off to do what you've suggested (I hope). Not sure I know what an HJT log is... but I'm sure gonna try to do it. I guess once they've finished with me I'll be back...

Thanks for everyones support!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users