Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insight Re Enum Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:03 PM

Under the guidance of Microsoft phone support I deleted several Legacy keys today. Our session terminated in the middle due to the ending of their support hours. I've just come from Microsoft site where the ominous hands off writing re Enum leaves me concerned. I intended to phone back in the morning to continue. I can't help but wonder how appropriate the actions taken were. Overkill? I'm trying to clean up after uninstalling a security suite. I would like to have a better understanding of Enum. And the consequence of deleting Legacy keys.
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:24 AM

BTFOM what Enum is. Normally, enumeration is the assigning of numbers to a sequence (item 1 is enumerated as "1", item 2 as "2", etc).

Legacy keys are generally keys that are used to support older applications - and if not using those applications they "should" be safe to delete.

Is this the paid Microsoft support - or is it the free stuff that they give out related to issues with their products?

It's been my experience that the Microsoft support is top-notch. But, I've only used the free version and it has related to problems with their products.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

For now, based on your other posts, I'd suggest the following:
1) Go to http://safety.live.com/ and perform the free, online scan (it'll want to install an ActiveX control in Internet Explorer - you'll have to allow it to proceed. This is an excellent all around scanner that will not only search for malware on your system - but will also clean your registry, dump your temp files, and will defrag your hard drive.

2) Download the Microsoft Windows Defender Beta, install it on your system and let it run a complete system scan. (free from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en )

3) Download AdAware, install it, update the definitions and run a complete system scan (free from here: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Person...dl&tag=top5 )

4) Download SpyBot Search & Destroy, install it (but don't let in install the Tea Timer or any other memory resident stuff), update the definitions and run a complete system scan (free from here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html )

5) And, if you're really a glutton for online punishment (these online scans take forever!) go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ (using Internet Explorer) and conduct a free, online scan there also.

Let us know how it works for you - if id doesn't, we've got more up our sleeves!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

Hi,
I've got a Cleaner, Registry Mechanic, etc. I'm not concerned with a malware issue. I'm cleaning up after a badly written/difficult to remove program. I want it gone! I'd like to leave my PC intact!
I understand the concept of enumeration. It's the Microsoft site's section on Enum that raises questions on the safety of their phone tech's plan of action. Phone stuff is so luck of the draw. And it can get you into trouble. :thumbsup:
Thank you. One day I will have enough technical knowledge to better judge the path I'm being led down!
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:06 PM

I've checked your posts on the other threads that you've started. It would be advisable to combine them all into one thread. Often these problems are related, and can be caused by things that aren't that obvious.

In this case my request for the online scans is due to the .vbs problem in one of your other threads. Typically, with problems of this sort, the Visual Basic Script is able to do things to your system that aren't evident to the casual user.

FWIW - the use of the tools that you cited doesn't guarantee anything. From what I've seen of Registry Mechanic, it has caused more problems than it has fixed (IMO)

I'll need to know the exact path to the Enum section at the Microsoft site. A search of Microsoft for Enum yields approximately 1,660 entries. The first page of this google search shows many relationships to issues that you've discussed: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=e...G=Google+Search

It never hurts to do the malware scans (and especially the first one that I've mentioned. What if you're the first person to get a particular piece of malware? There's been no report of it, so there's been no update to the scanning engines to remove it.

The very first step in fixing a system is to ensure that there's nothing interfering with the repair process.

#6 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

Thank you for your interest. I don't feel combining my threads will bring any resolution to my understanding Enum. Their topics are separate & were written over a period of time. The vbs issue was solved by removing the Sony Support Agent, etc. I do have antispyware & use it often.

If you are interested in what I was referring to on the Microsoft site, go there & in the support section, enter Enum into its search box. It's the main article, entitled Enum. Please don't feel you must unravel its mysteries for me--only if you are interested! :thumbsup:

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:57 PM

I think your best bet is to provide the exact path in the registry for the keys in question. That way, we can find out which program or programs they belong to. If a program identity is not certain, leave the key alone. :thumbsup:

Which security suite were you getting rid of?

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:25 AM

Hello Ms. Blossom!
I knew which program the Legacy keys correlated with & which services. It tells you on the subkey ie, legacy_mcdetect.exe, & so on. They're disabled services.msc entries. Can you guess which mc@#$%ing suite?! :thumbsup:
It took an exorcist & a village. Never ever again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users