Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Stumped Power Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twothpik

twothpik

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:05 PM

Bleeping computer! is right
I have an Asus A7V600 Motherboard with an AMD 2000xp chip installed. 256mb of ram.
120 gig hard drive, sony cd burner, Nvidia 420 mx agp video card, a Scsi card, sound max sound card running Win98 se.
The bleeping computer shuts off, when encoding a .mpg with Tmpeg or Mainconcept mpeg encoder. No error messages, no blue screen of death just power off.
I was thinking its a cooling problem with the motherboard or CPU. I turned all of the monitors off in the Bios (award) The same thing happed again. I flashed the bios with the latest update from Asus. Still happens.
I reloaded Win98 from scratch. Still happens. MY forehead is getting flatter and flatter from banging my head on the desk, as ugly as I am already this isn't helping improve
a bad situation. I am thinking about swapping out the power supply, but in my limited experience Windows is the culprit in most cases.

Has anyone ever ran into anything like this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:29 PM

shuts off, when encoding a .mpg with Tmpeg or Mainconcept mpeg encoder. No error messages, no blue screen of death just power off.

Is this the only process that this happens with/to your 'puter?

If you think it's an overheating problem... are all your fans working?
Have you ever had your case/system cleaned?
Does your system shut down at other times?

Just a few questions to help the pros here.

regards
~Koan
:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 twothpik

twothpik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:48 PM

The computer case is very clean and a new cooling fan, I just reassembled the computer last week.
It has shut down using nero to burn a music cd either to an image or to cd, but not a data cd, and when logon password screen is first being displayed when starting the computer. If you don't logon quickly the power shuts off. I have to turn the power completely off until the motherboard is powered down.

thanks for replying

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 02:03 PM

Ok, I run a compareable system. Same AMD Chip with 1gb. I've not had
any overheating probs, but I've three fans aboard. It might be a deteriorating PS.

But we'd best wait for one of our hardware Pro's to help out here.

Stop banging your head, as it just increases the heat levels.... :thumbsup:
The Pro's will get here shortly.

regards,
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:02 PM

Have you added any hardware to the computer from the original configuration? If your computer does not start up or if it does shut down all of a sudden without any warning; then it is possible that you have a power problem. Although power supplies are fairly inexpensive, you may want to try out a few other things first.

Do you have a UPS? No, I am not talking about an alternative US Mail service :thumbsup: Instead, it is a battery back-up; read: better then a power strip. You may want to look at getting one of these. It will not take care of your problem if it is your power supply, but it would at least assure that you are getting consistent power going to your computer.

Have you looked closely to your wires inside your computer? If any of your power leads are going out, or you see any scorch marks, it would show the same symptoms.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 twothpik

twothpik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2004 - 12:37 AM

It was the sound card. I think? I disabled the sound card and then everything worked great.
Thanks for the Replies and Merry Christmas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users