Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stimp11

Stimp11

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:39 PM

I will be moving and have to cancel my current internet and therefore my email address will be different in my new house (different companies).

Is there a way to save my current inbox onto my computer so i can have access to them in the future? I have hundreds of work-related tips (I am a teacher) that I do not want to lose. I also don't want to spend hours copying the text and pasting onto word documents.

This is for the outlook on my home computer. Windows XP, home edition. Please keep in mind that I will be using the same outlook program with my new internet provider....Oh, do I need something different? new identities in outlook or something?

Thank you,
lisa

(Moderator edit:clarified topic title and added topic description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 22 October 2006 - 10:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

Your mail in Outlook Express is stored on YOUR computer. To verify that, simply unplug from Internet and look at your stored emails. Keep your present email address for a month after getting the new address and that will give you time to notify others so you don't miss any mail.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

Ok...I get that...but how do I access them when I change to a new email address? Do I need to create new identities in my Outlook for the new email address? And therefore just switch to the old identity to read the old emails?
thanks
lisa

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:27 PM

I believe all you will have to do is add the new account under tools in the email toolbar.
If I may, I suggest you get one or more online email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail.
(Google). Use those instead of your main email account with your ISP for security and privacy reasons.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

You will still have access to all of yor e-mail in Outlook,as the only thing that you are changing is your e-mail address.
I don't use Outlook,but if my memory serves me right,you do have to make a couple of changes in Outlook under Tools/Accounts/Mail/Properties.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

Hi stimp11

Are you talking Microsoft Outlook or Windows Outlook Express?
There is no justice, there is just us.

#7 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:01 PM

It is outlook Express.

So, If I understand correctly, no matter if I change internet and email address, the old mail will still be there when I open it up and get my new mail. (Right?) No need to add identities...just change the pop server address (or whatever) under tools.
i think I am understanding this better...this is the first time I am switching since having Outlook.

Is there any difference since I have outlook express?

Thanks for the advice on other email addresses. i do have those too. this acct is for trusted sources.
lisa

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

I was assuming you had Outlook Express. I believe all you do is add the new address in accounts. The identities file is usually for multiple users on one computer. I believe if you don't change users no need to change identities. Since I am the only user on this comp, I have never used the identity option. Sounds like you know what you are doing using the "throwaway online accounts".

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

If your e-mail provider is using POP protocol mail, that mail will be on your computer. I haven't used any variety of Outlook or Outlook Express, but I think you could simply add a new account for your new e-mail, and all your old mail will stay under the old account. I personally have two e-mail accounts from two different Internet Providers for myself in my e-mail client.

If your e-mail provider uses IMAP, then you will have to download the mail to your computer from the server, and probably create local folders to file the mail to be sure of retaining the mail.

You could also transfer all the mail you want to keep to local folders. I do this for both my POP and IMAP mail accounts.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:41 AM

Just FYI - I recently purchased a few domains using GoDaddy.com and found that they come with a free email address (I opted for the more expensive option with 5 email address').

So, for $8.95 a year I have a free email address that is just for me - and GoDaddy provides the access. I got to pick my domain name and I get to pick my user name.

Free POP3 access and SMTP limited to 250 accesses a day.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

Your current E-mails will reside on your computer under the old account, and can be accessed there. Your new E-mails will be under the new account when you create it. You should be able to merge the two in-boxes, though it might be best to keep them separate because of space considerations.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users