Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burnning Dvd's For Dummies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dyrbooker

Dyrbooker

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:54 PM

I am at my wits end. When backing up my movie collection often DVD Copy X platinum won't work. I can rip the movie to my hard drive (and watch it there) with DVD decrypter, but I can not find a way to get it onto a DVD disk. I have tied and tried DVD shrink. It won't pick up the whole movie only parts. in Nero I have no idea where that compilation screen is or how to get to it, and if I try to burn the file it says its to large, or I just mess up a DVD because only a little bit of the movie transfers. As you can see I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm not sure what all of these formats are IFO,VOB, which ones do I need to get only the movie. Which ones are the previews. Everyone writes the instructions and leaves parts out that they don't think are important but for some one like me a step left out leaves me with out a clue. For instance one says in Nero to close the express window and a compilation window will come up, or hit File, New, well I am yet to the a file toolbar or a close button in Nero 6.0.0.0.15. Please help. Is there something wrong with all of my programs. HELP please some one just help me through this. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

You might be able to find some suggestions here:
videohelp.com
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

The 1st rule of thumb when trying to burn anything to cd/dvd..

1. Use RE-WRITABLES 1st. Stop wasting your discs. Invest about $20 and get 5 rw-dvd's.. and do the same for rw-cd's

2. Forget that DVDX Copy. It's junk.

3. forget Nero, that's junk too, especially for doing movies.

All you need to make an exact copy of a dvd is:
DVD Decrypter (will break the encryption on the dvd)
DVD Shrink (will shrink the dvd to fit on a 4.7G dvd)
DVD43 (will break the encryption on the dvd)
Copy2DVD (will burn your VIDEO_TS folder to the dvd)

Here are your steps in achieving 100% perfect backups of your dvd's.

a. First you need to load the program DVD43. the reason you're loading it is that it'll capture the encryption BEFORE you use any programs. In other words, load this prograsm BEFORE you put a dvd in the drive.

b. Insert your dvd. And after you insert it, you should see the "smiley" face on your task bar turn "green". That means the DVD43 has found encryption on the dvd and unblocked it.

c. Load up DVD Decrypter. I believe it'll automatically find the dvd for you. Once you load the dvd, make your selections to have it decrypt it for you. (I'm not in front of my software right now). Save the files to a folder named VIDEO_TS. Or it'll ask you to save it somewhere. Whatever the choices are, do it... but DO NOT SAVE IN THE DEFAULT LOCATION.. Security reasons.

REMOVE THE DVD FROM THE DRIVE NOW! -[EDIT] after the decryption process has finished.

d. After it decrypts the movie for you, open up the DVD Shrink, and load the VIDEO_TS folder you just saved. Select the 4.7G / Single Layer selection. There are 2 phases that it does in order to fully shrink the movie and keep the quality. Make sure you select the Progressive Scan, or something like that... it'll be the selection that tells you that it will pass over the file 2 times. It's a long process, but it's woth it.

Once you selct all that you need to select, hit the start button, and sit back and relax. It'll be a few hours or so to complete the process.

After DVD Shrink completes it's process, you're basically finished. Now all you need to do is burn the VIDEO_TS folder.

e. Load up the Copy2DVD and select the DVD selection. Now insert a blank RE-WRITABLE dvd. After that, navigate to the folder that has the VIDEO_TS folder in it. Once it finds your folder, it'll find the .IFO file. Click on the .IFO file, and it'll load all of the .VOB files/movie files.

In the left window where you name your folder of the movie, name it without spaces in it and name it in all capital letters. Example

A movie name King of New York should be KING_OF_NEW_YORK. that's the standards of movie naming conventions on dvds. Every dvd every made is in that format, and it's best to keep it that way, to help eliminate any conflicts.

After doing all of that, select your burner, then select the drop-down list and selct DVD5. Don't select DVD9. If you do, it'll be looking for a 8.5G dvd, double-layer.

The buring process should take around 30 minutes or so.

That's it. I've done countless movies and I'm a pro at it, thanks to having RE-WRITABLE dvd's and cd's.

Once it turns out good and playable, put in a blank permanent dvd and burn away.

Hope that helps!

Walkman
One Man's Opinion

Edited by Walkman, 29 October 2006 - 11:01 PM.

#4 sairam g

sairam g

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:34 AM

Hi,
Please try this out. This may/not solve your problem. Hope, you have copied all your .vob files into harddisk successfully from the dvd. Now, there is software called TMPEGENC, using this, split the .vob file into mp2(audio) and m2v(video) files. Using IFOEdit(software) with the help of mp2 and m1v, you can generate a new .vob file with all the supported files ie., IFO,BUP etc., with neccessary folders(Audio_ts,Video_ts). After completing try to burn this using Nero into a dvd.

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:50 AM

Hi,
Please try this out. This may/not solve your problem. Hope, you have copied all your .vob files into harddisk successfully from the dvd. Now, there is software called TMPEGENC, using this, split the .vob file into mp2(audio) and m2v(video) files. Using IFOEdit(software) with the help of mp2 and m1v, you can generate a new .vob file with all the supported files ie., IFO,BUP etc., with neccessary folders(Audio_ts,Video_ts). After completing try to burn this using Nero into a dvd.

That would be more work than what it's worth. and besides, if he can watch it on his computer, but it won't burn, it's either:

The decryption method didn't work properly
The setting aren't correct for buring the VIDEO_TS to the dvd
DVD drivers are corrupt or so
The format is not correct for where he/she live (PAL or NTSC)

If everything is alright on the computer, the only thing left to do is simply burn it. And following step e is all that should be needed to burn it.

Maybe Dyrbooker is overlooking something. If the movie plays on the hd, it'll burn to dvd. Not unless there are problems with his drivers or so,,, or the problems are listed in bold text above.

I have the TMPEGENC tools, but that's waayyyyy too much work for a movie that already plays on the computer.

Remember, Drybooker may not be good at this, and that TMPEGENC will make him pull his hair out of his head. It's too complicated for some. Also, it depends on which exact tool from them you're talking about. They have at least 10 or so programs that I know of.. more or less.

[ADDED 2:02am] Since Drybooker said that the movie doesn't come out right while using DVD Decrypter, that is more of a reason to follow the steps I've outlined above. DVD Decrypter ALONE will NOT decrypt all movies. I know because I've tried it alone, until I started using DVD43, and from that point on, I've backed up 100% of every single mdvd movie I put in my drive.

Trust me on it.. there may be other methods, but above is the simplest of them all. I can even convert a PAL into a NTSC and still retain the menus. But according to the world and the industry, it can't be done. Well, I've done it.

Edited by Walkman, 30 October 2006 - 03:02 AM.

#6 sairam g

sairam g

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:38 AM

Yes, Mr.Walkman, What you said is absolutely right. This is a round about process. But, I have tried for few movies which has given me the same problem, some of them works fine but a few are not working. I am verymuch Thankful for your suggesstions. But, the process I have explained in the earlier reply works fine with conversion of VCD to DVD too. Once agian thankyou for valuable suggesstions.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

Yes, Mr.Walkman, What you said is absolutely right. This is a round about process. But, I have tried for few movies which has given me the same problem, some of them works fine but a few are not working. I am verymuch Thankful for your suggesstions. But, the process I have explained in the earlier reply works fine with conversion of VCD to DVD too. Once agian thankyou for valuable suggesstions.

You're welcome....

The thing I noticed is that DVD Decrypter can, and will decrypt movies (at times) alone, but with the DVD43 loaded up 1st, it'll unblock the dvd when it's 1st inserted into the drive, whereas DVD Decrypter has to 1st read the dvd, and it's not unblocking it from the source. That'swhy some movies may come out and some may not. And that's simple because some movies don't have encryption or they have weak/standard encryption. But when you load a dvd with a more advanced encryption scheme, it can't detect/remove it, but if you have the DVD43 loaded 1st, it'll unblock every movie. (at least every one I've ever tried).

I wouldn't be surprised if movies now have some type of rootkit on them.

To date, I've tried nearly 60+ different software tools for making backups, conversions and all the rest that goes with it, and I have to say that many of them out there are simply useless. I have a few tools that I use, and to date, I'm 100% effective in backing up dvd movies.

[TIP] If what you use works at 100% at doing the job, unless there is a major or significant change(s) in a newer version of it, I'd advise to refrain from upgrading. If you do upgrade, don't be too quick to thow out your old software. An example of one incident was when I upgraded WinAVI v6.3 -v7.0 every single movie came out with jitters (they were shaking) and then when I've done research on the problem, it was a known problem with that version, and everyone who upgraded was advised to downgrade back to the v6.3. Many people had already deleted their 6.3 off their computers and was stuck with the 7.0, unless the sellers of the WinAVI provided them with the old ones again. I'm still using my old tools, because they work, and until I see the need to upgrade, I will. But until then, don't fix what isn't broke.

#8 Dyrbooker

Dyrbooker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

Thank you both for your help. I have been successful. Your help is greatly apperciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users