Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port 80 Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 izzie

izzie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:49 AM

Sorry to start a new thread, but search didn't yield me any help. I have a windows xp home laptop, running a penium-m 1.8g, 2gig ddr2, 80gig, 6800nvidia. Using Avast Antivirus, zonealarm firewall, and adaware personal. The system is fully updated/patched from microsoft. The system seems clean of all spyware/adware and no trojan/virus can be found with the latest updates.

Recently my web browser has lost the ability to load pages (both IE, and firefox). The blackout will last for 30-60 seconds. The connection then returns. During the blackout, I retain connection to IRC, and voice communication programs. No internet games drop either. I can /ping any site, including the one that currently will not load in my web browser. Downloads from websites are not affected.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. For the moment, I have disabled zonealarm firewall and turned on the basic windows firewall. This has netted me no change.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

Look in your Zone Alarm logs and see if it shows rejecting anything connecting in them.
You didn't say how you were connected - whether dialup or broadband and on direct connection to the modem or with a router, and if so is it wireless?

If it is wireless, make sure you do not have a portable phone (or any other wireless device) on the 2.4mhz band anywhere near the router or the computer.

If you can't determine any cause, go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan.
That will check registry issues among other things.
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

Take a minute to look at the info in the link below:

http://www.tech-faq.com/clear-arp-cache.shtml

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 izzie

izzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:18 PM

The system is wired to a WAP/Router. The other 2 systems in the house which are wireless do not have this issue. The laptop (system with problems) has the same issue wired or wireless. (diabled wireless adapter)
I ran the microsoft live cleanup/scan found a few small issues, but none of them corrected my port 80 issue. I cleared the API cache as well, with no luck.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:52 AM

Try to clear the DNS cache.
Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig /flushdns
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 izzie

izzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:03 PM

Try to clear the DNS cache.
Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig /flushdns

done, no results.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

Try LSP fix:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/lspfix.php

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

Have you done a hijack this log? You might find something interesting in that... If your running mirc there's a possibility you have something associated with it. However, for now make sure all programs that are associated with the internet is closed (mirc aim msn) don't cancel components, just software, have zone alarm running though. Whenever you lose connection to your computer, go to start>run>cmd(enter) Then type in

Netstat

Netstat -an

netstat -vb

Post up what these three guys come up with. Try to do this frequently to notice any changes.

#9 izzie

izzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:07 PM

Try LSP fix:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/lspfix.php

did this as well, used hijackthis earlier.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

Just found this interesting link on how to reset TCP/IP - you may want to give it a try: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users