Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod At Startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nervous_Noob

Nervous_Noob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

Hi,

This whole thing pretty much started after I got the MultiDropper.d trojan through live messenger yesterday. McAfee AntiVirus was unable to clean, quarantine or delete and Adaware failed to pick it up (only the usually tracking cookies) so I installed and ran AVG and Spybot - S&D, which seemed to clear up the problem, deleting some registry keys and files they associated with malware. I then ran full system scans for all of the above programs and all were clear of high risk item except for AVG which detected Dropper.PurityScan.ah, which it quarantined.

Today, while running a full system scan on Adaware, I pulled the power plug out of my laptop and the Adaware process froze while doing its check. I tried to end the task through task manager and finally tried to restart through task manager but unfortunately I had to turn off the computer manually. Enter BSoD on startup; after prompting for user account password it went straight to bluescreen. Subsequent attempts to restart yielded the same results. Safe mode startup worked, but I didn't know what to do anyway.

Anyway, I gave my computer a rest for 20 minutes and it started up fine after that. However, my issue is that I suspect I might run into this problem again. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact code of the BSoD, it was something to do with page file. What is happening to my computer and what can I do? I'm afraid to turn it off now!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:07 AM

Hi, if it started up ok after a reboot all will be ok
As for the BSOD
The blue screen of death (BSOD), is the informal name given by users to the Windows general protection fault (GPF) error. Named in honor of the error's dreaded display image of white text on a blue background, the BSOD is generated by the operating system when it has suddenly terminated with an error. The system locks up and must be rebooted. The blue screen may include some hexadecimal values from a core dump that can potentially be used to determine what caused the crash

Have a Good Day :thumbsup:

#3 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:13 AM

Forgot too mention just in case hope You uninsalled McAfee AntiVirus , before installing AVG
One is good but two Antivirisus can cause major problems install only one :thumbsup:

#4 Nervous_Noob

Nervous_Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

Well, it's AVG anti spyware and not the antivirus software. I also only use AVGAS for periodic scanning and not for monitoring. Is this still not an acceptable solution?

#5 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:28 AM

Yes all is fine, but was not sure seeing You had just mentioned AVG :thumbsup:

Edited by Cobra2, 21 October 2006 - 10:30 AM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

Yes, if it is anti-spyware and not the AVG antivirus program it is fine.

Two things for you to do.

One is to disable the auto reboot on error so you can see the bsod.

To do so, please perform the following steps:
1.Right-click My Computer.
2.Select Properties.
3.In the System Properties, select the tab Advanced.
4.In the box called Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
5.A new window will open:

6.Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure
7.Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking OK.

Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error. However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem.

Note: Most of the critical errors are due to faulty driver installations or incorrect BIOS settings. Especially in case of misbehaving drivers, the blue screens often list the filename of the driver that caused the crash.

The second thing I recommend is to do a Windows Live Safety Scan:

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#7 Nervous_Noob

Nervous_Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

I have news and it's not good: I was just running a McAfee full system scan and when I came back, my old friend the blue screen was there to greet me. I have a feeeling this is not just going to disappear. The info on the blue screen is below. Before, when it occurred at start up, I was sure it mentioned something about page file after the first line. Could this be something to do with the registry?

---

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for an BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8054AFD2, OxA9423444, Ox00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

---

#8 Nervous_Noob

Nervous_Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

I powered it off after the last blue screen and restarted it. It restarted alright and I logged into my user account, then just when the desktop has loaded and it seems everything is fine, blue screen reappears. However it's a different one:

---

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE-FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Diable BIOS memory options usch as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xD657804D, 0x00000001, 0x80523530, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

---

#9 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:50 AM

Before pulling the plug did You have a recent restore point, if so try restoring before this happened, if You can do a scan with the link that Enthusiast gave You before !!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

See if the following Microsoft Knowledgebase article helps:

The computer may automatically restart, or you may receive a "serious error" message or a Stop error message in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894278

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 October 2006 - 11:36 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:57 AM

STOP 0x8e: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e
STOP 0x50: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50

Have you installed/upgraded/changed anything with your system recently?

You can check your Event Viewer for further details on the BSOD's using this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You can also search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp or .mdmp If you find them, you can analyze them using this procedure: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Then post the results of the analysis for us to look at.

In particular, we're looking for a file name that's associated with these events (there's also some other details, but the file name is by far the most important).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users