Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Win Xp Problems W/ Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

I am having some major problems with reinstalling Windows XP. When I run through Setup, it will not detect my hard drive. I know my hard drive is correctly connected and all that. I cannot figure out what to do.

What I have done so far is go into a DOS prompt using a WIN 98 boot disk. I then ran FDISK and created a new partition. I then formatted that new partition. Now, Windows either says it doesn't read my hard drive or it gives me a BSoD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

Hi wemibelec90
To install XP even if its an upgrade go in Your bios, and change Your boot
section to CD, Hard Drive, and floppy last ,save and exit bios, reboot Your system with the XP CD
at startup Your screen will be black saying to just touch anykey ''keyboard'' the installation will begin
You will need a legit older CD version of Windows 95 98 will do, put this just put this in Cd wen asked
wen You get to where You want to install XP You will see Your partition or older version of Windows
choose delete these partition 's' after XP will format Your drive and will reboot do not touch the keyboard
as it reboots at the install XP choose witch partition You wish to install it if only one You will choose
all of Your Hard Drive space , just follow the prompts

Have a Nice Day :thumbsup:

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:37 AM

Instead of the Win 98 disk get Windows XP Setup boot disks appropriate for the installation cd you have - ie SP2 or ?

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

#4 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

Just wondering Enthusiast

After installing different versions of XP I never needed anything else than the XP CD, and a legit CD of
an older version of Windows, the boot disks from Microsoft where good only if You had no older legit version and didnt want people to know that they where in fact getting the full version even if it said upgrade !!

Have a Good One :thumbsup:

#5 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:07 PM

The main problem I am having is that it is either not reading my hard drive, or it boots up setup with no disk and then crashes to a BSoD. I think this really has nothing to do with my discs. Any other ideas?

#6 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

The only problem I am having now is when I go to install XP. I get to the part where it has the option to install or go to the recovery console. I then hit ENTER to install Win XP and it says that it cannot detect a valid hard drive.

I know the hard drive is plugged in and the computer sees it because it is shown in the BIOS. Win XP setup cannot pick it up though. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users