Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Learner87

Learner87

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:10 AM

Any question or Help needed for Acer laptop?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pleasehelp

pleasehelp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

I have an Acer Aspire laptop and its great. No software problems whatsoever yet (knock on wood). I do however have a keyboard problem. One of the keys broke off, I already contacted Acer and they sent me a new one. The only problem is there were no instructions with it and i have no idea how to replace it. :thumbsup:
Can anyone help me out ASAP? Thanks in advance

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

I'm not familiar with Acer's, but generally the keys just snap on with firm pressure. Make sure that you remove the remnancts of the broken key before trying to install the new one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 pleasehelp

pleasehelp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:54 AM

oops sorry, i meant they sent me a new keyboard not just a new key. sorry for the confusion :thumbsup:

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:12 AM

What model Acer Aspire is it?
The procedure will vary but in short, you remove the bezel, then the keyboard.
The bezel may just snap in and out or have screws, usually somewhere around the screen hinges.
The keyboard itself will typically have 2-4 screws under the bezel holding it in place.
Lift the keyboard out slowly, usually in a tilt manner.
I can give you more specifics if you give me the model #.

#6 pleasehelp

pleasehelp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

Thanks so much for helping me. I have an Aspire 3610. Im not sure what you mean by bezel.

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:35 AM

By bezel I mean the keyboard cover at the top of the notebook. (a.k.a. plastic thingy :thumbsup: )
With the laptop closed, you should see screws (around 3 of them) on the back side (not the bottom) that hold the bezel in place. Remove them. Open the laptop back up to remove the bezel. You'll have to lay the screen back as far as it'll go.
Underneath the bezel you'll clearly see the keyboard hold down screws. Most likely there is only 2.
Remove them and tilt the keyboard out slowly. Disconnect the zif cable, reverse procedure to install the new keyboard.
Before you start, remove the battery. You don't want any power sources attached. :flowers:

Edited by HitSquad, 30 October 2006 - 06:47 AM.

#8 pleasehelp

pleasehelp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:13 AM

ok there arent any screws on the back, so i have no idea how this thing comes out. I dunno if maybe actually seeing it would help?
https://www.synapsenow.com/synapse/data/711...610_ENG_OLM.pdf

Edited by pleasehelp, 30 October 2006 - 10:20 AM.

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:44 AM

Seeing it does help.
The small silver panel above the keyboard will need to be removed.
From the bottom view in the .pdf doc, it does not appear that there is a holding screw\screws going through.
The panel most likely just pops off. You'll need a small flat blade screwdriver. Be gentle and start at each end first. Once the panel is removed, you should see the keyboard hold down screws at the top of the keyboard.

#10 kmappleby

kmappleby

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:08 AM

yes! I need help with my Acer laptop! Whenever i press the shift ' key, it doesn't bring up the @ symbol, but the " symbol and when i press the shift 2 key, it doesn't bring up the " symbol, but the @ symbol. This is very annoying, is there a way to fix it? Also, the # key brings up the symbols on the \ key so i can't get a hash symbol on my laptop. Help me! Please e-mail me at xxxxxxxxxxxxx if you have a solution

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you might want. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 01 November 2006 - 07:46 AM.

#11 Werner Heuser

Werner Heuser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:41 AM

they sent me a new one. The only problem is there were no instructions with it and i have no idea how to replace it.

At Repair4Laptop there are keyboard repair and replacement guides for laptops and notebooks and a dedicated section with
repairing and upgrading tutorials for ACER laptops.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

Nice link Werner Heuser! Thanks, and welcome to Bleeping Computer!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 pleasehelp

pleasehelp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

Thanks so much for your guys help!
It was a success :thumbsup:

#14 Skriptkitty

Skriptkitty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

I have an Acer Aspire 3050 running WinXP Media Center Edition-SP2. I bought the laptop way back in early February of this year and of course after setting it up I was prompted to back up the system ASAP since the machine came with a preinstalled OS instead of a disk. At that time, I did not have 7CDs or 2DVDs to back up my system with- in fact, I did not even have a chance to get the CDs until a few months ago.

However, when I attempted to use the Acer eRecovery program to back everything up it told me it was missing an essential file from the Registry. It did not however, actually show me which file was missing. In fact, the error message included a giant blank space after "The following file is missing from the Registry:".

I also, at one point, attempted to use the NTI:Backup NOW! program, but after I backed up the first 5 CDs I checked them on another machine and there was no information on them that was actually usable. I have no clue whatsoever what was going on there.

Now it has become vital that I backup my system because I need to take it in for a RAM upgrade before the poor thing stops functioning altogether (and before my college classes start and I need the darn thing). It is my belief that my system is infected in one way or another, but PC-Cillian and Ad-Aware haven't caught anything, I haven't found anything out of the ordinary running, and I don't have enough remaining RAM to run anything else to scan for it. I also don't know anyone who can scan my computer remotely either, so I am left only with the choice to take it in to a professional. Before I do this, I want to know if it's at all possible for me to back up my system in another way?

Afterthought: Acer eRecovery no longer actually runs. I'm not sure if this is because of the lack of RAM or some other reason, but it has now been rendered completely useless (instead of moderately useless).
"I hate computers, this is why I decided to pursue a major in Computer Sciences. Twisted huh?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users