Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An Once Of Prevention?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rondil

Rondil

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:37 AM

Question for you guys. I read or was told that anytime I/you surf the Internet you are better off doing so from a Limited account/Login. You wouldn't logon to Linux as a Superuser and surf would ya. When logged in this way No software can be installed and No changes can be done to your machine which should prevent any trojans from being installed or drive-by installs. I have also read that there are exceptions to this but no details. So is this true? Can I still get infected by trojans or a drive-by install when logged in this way. I always logon as a limited account except when I want to install something. I have found a couple programs don't like this so keep that in mind if you folks decide to try this.

Heres how its done.

Open Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Create a new Account --> Type in a name -->Next -->
Click Limited --> Creat Account

Its that simple. If you need to be on an Admin account you can change easily by clicking START --> Log Off
Swich User (Leaves account and Programs open and running) or Log Off ( Shuts down that account) Then click the account you want to logon too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:32 AM

Here's some good reads on this:

"How the right user account can help your computer security".
"Limited-User Security on Windows XP"
"Increasing Security with Limited User Accounts and Restricted Groups"
"Using a Least-Privileged User Account"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users