Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary Freeze Up Of Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sjarvis1

sjarvis1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

My computer freezes up occationally, just as it did while typing this post. When it does this nothing works, mouse, ctrl-alt-del, nothing. Following the freeze up, which last last 30 to 40 seconds, I check the CPU log and it shows that it was at 100% yet I cannot determine what is running. By the time I can check the task manager, everything is back to normal.

This just began occurring yesterday, and I have not downloaded any programs, etc. Virus scan was clear, spyware scan had only (2) cookies.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:09 PM

Hi, welcome to bleeps
this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it
- witch virus scans
everyday is a gift

#3 sjarvis1

sjarvis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

No problem. I should have offered a little more information.

The computer is a HP pavillion a422n
2.6 GHz Intel Pent 4
512 SDRAM
120 GB HD

I run XP Home edition

The computer is right at 2 years old

I have Norton AV and firewall.

Thanks for your time in trying to figure this one out. I may have some additional information to add but I want to check something out first.

#4 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hi sjarvis1
It would be better to install AVG Antivirus, Norton is a bit of a hog and not to great,
do You have SP2 installed ? if Your automatic updates is checked it is possible that this is downloading updates,or norton running in background, do You have an extra icon in Your toolbar when this happens,
Here is the link to download AVG , but You will have to uninstall all of Norton 'Symantec' first
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/112/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Have a Nice Day :thumbsup:

#5 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

To remove Norton follow this link
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42247/how-to-completely-remove-norton-security-products/

You can also add Zone Alarm firewall
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/cata...sku_list_za.jsp
or
Jetico firewall
http://www.download.com/Jetico-Personal-Fi...mp;sb=0&v=0

All of these are free and work great :thumbsup:

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

Go to start/run and type in msconfig and click ok.

What programs (not processes) does it show in your startup menu?

#7 sjarvis1

sjarvis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Okay, here is what is showing on the start up

ps2
ccApp
hpqcmon
PicasaMediaDetector
backupnotify
msmsgs
Adobe Reader Speed launch
AutoCAD Start up accelerator
HP Digital Imaging Monitor
Office Startup
Updates from HP

Here is the weird thing. When I restarted the computer once yesterday, the CD writer door opened and closed several times, finally remaining open. The computer worked fine for several hours. Afer a while, it started to pause occationally, then the CD writer tray closed (without doing anything). Shortly after it closed, the computer begin to freeze up again, as described earlier. So, I restarted the computer and sure enough the CD writer tray opened up and then the computer worked fine for awhile, until it automatically closed. I think this thing is possessed.

Any help would be appreciated.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

Disable Adobe, Autocad and Office.

The rest are HP Digital Imaging, Picasa and the HP Keyboard

Go to your device manager and look to see if there are any yellow or red warning icons in it.

If there are, update the applicable drivers.

#9 sjarvis1

sjarvis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

Disabled all that was noted. Device manager does not show any red or yellow indications

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:11 AM

AutoCAD and Digital Imaging will slow down any system - and with only 512 mB of RAM your system would probably run like "molasses in January".

So, start trimming down your startups, running processes, and running services. Here's some suggestions to start with:

Office startup and HP updates are not needed (you can get email updates from HP) and should be disabled. Also, make sure that the Indexing service is shut down.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

I am wondering why there is no Anti-virus program in your startups.

Do you have one installed and running?

#12 ask42

ask42

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

Hi. I'm new here, and I have the same problems of my computer freezing and it doing weird things. My info:
eMachine T1100, 6 yrs old
384 Mb of memory
iTouch keyboard with many functions
20 Gb hard drive
1Gb Intel Celeron processor
Verizon DSL
I use Outlook Express and MyWay for email, and Slimbrowser.
I know I don't have enough memory for all the stuff I have, but I try to keep up on things with SpeedUpMyPC, Startup Mechanic, CS Fire Monitor, MemTurbo, probably some others. CSFire Monitor lately has been showing my CPU at 100 most of the time, and things are very slow to come up. Once yesterday the Reply email screen kept flashing on the screen while I was trying to read my email. It freezes for no apparent reason every so often, and sometimes if I leave it running to do something else, I come back to a black screen (that's ok) and it won't respond to my clicks. I have to turn it off and I hate to do that instead of telling it to turn off or hibernate.
Can someone help?

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

Ask42:

Each thing that you put on your system adds some more to the load that your system has to support. After a while there's been so much added that the system slows to a crawl. Also, each of those supposed "memory managers" adds it's share to the load that your system has to support. This also may explain the freeze ups - but there's other things that can also cause that.

In your case, 384 mB of RAM just isn't enough. Generally you'll need 512 mB of RAM (not to include what's shared with your video card) in order to function decently with XP. In order to cut down the time that you spend managing your memory, I'd recommend at least 1 gB of memory (as long as your system will support it).

A good free tool to check the status of your system is the Task Manager that's built into Windows (just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to it). The Processes tab will show you what processes are running on your system and the Performance tab will show you all sorts of good stuff about your CPU and memory.

Try this free startup program manager to see what you can do to help out with the freezes: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml (use the standalone version if you don't want to install it on your system).

If this doesn't solve the freezing problems for you - then I'd suggest that you start your own post so that we can concentrate on that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

Please start your own thread Ask42, and disable SpeedUpMyPC asap!
"Memory managers" actually work against Windows XP's excellent memory management and cause your computer to run slower or possibly even freeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users