Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

History

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

My computer shows no history even while you browse online. Then of course when you log off and back on and want to vist the same site again it isn't there.

Even in the Temp file there is nothing. My history is set to be kept for 1 month.

How do I get my computer to start to keep history files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by jgweed, 23 October 2006 - 09:11 AM.

bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:31 AM

Hi Bulldog...

Are you using TweakUI by any chance? There is a setting in there that will remove all history upon shutdown.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:13 AM

Many anti-spyware or privacy applications, in addition to your browser itself, have settings that allow the user to delete the history of webpages visited, so even if you have changed your browser's settings, there could still be another application that is preventing the history being kept.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

I'm not running Tweak UI and I'm not running any anti-spyware or privacy applications.

I run programs to clean-up history when I defrag and do normal maintenance, but you can even be online and want to go back to a page you was at before and it wont show any history at all.
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

I just spent a few minutes doing a web search for your problem. Found almost nothing. 2 users inquiring about similar problem but no answer. One site offered that some security programs block active X and this could cause history problem. All searches were done for IE6 browser.

Repair on Windows 95,98,ME, NT, or 2000

If you are using one of these versions of Windows then Internet Explorer 6 was not installed by default when you installed the operating system but rather from an upgrade. Since you upgraded to IE6 you have the advantage of having a repair tool that came with the installation.

To access this repair tool you should follow these steps:

Click on Start, then click on Settings, and then click on Control Panel.
Once the control panel window is open double-click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.
You will now see a screen that shows a listing of all installed programs on your computer. Scroll down till you see Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools.
Double-click this entry and a screen will appear asking what you would like to do.
Select the option to Repair Internet Explorer and press the OK button.
Then press the Yes key to begin the process.
When it is completed reboot your computer.
If this method is not successful, then you may have to reinstall your operating system or try an alternate browser.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

Thank you for the replies.

I actually use Mozilla as a browser. Maybe I need to reinstall. I will try that.

Thanks again.
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:03 PM

Mozilla and Firefox history is stored in a special file, so you can uninstall and then re-install the browser safely. If you are using Ff, you can simply install the newest version, though, on top of the existing one. Once you have re-installed it, go to your tools/ options/privacy/history options and re-input your 30 day new default and hit the OK button. Remember to be sure that the automatic clearing of private data is inchecked (FF2.0).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users