Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Im Not Sure If Its A Virus.. Help.. Seriously

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dhartinis

dhartinis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

i need to install a software but i can't cuz theres a pop up that says tat i have to close this stuff called "monitor.exe. I have no idea wat monitor.exe is. I did some searching online and some websites says that monitor.exe is a virus. Im seriously lost now :thumbsup: . I really have to switch this "monitor.exe off in order to install this software i just bought. Im a newbie here..this is my first post.. im not sure if i post this in the correct column.. im sorry if i did post it in the wrong column.. :flowers: somebody please help me!! Teach me how to switch off this monitor.exe..... plsss

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:11 AM

Depends on the location of this file as to whether its good or bad. monitor.exe is a service which is a part of the Microsoft Server operating system as described here or it can be bad as shown
here. It can also be related to such programs as Ulead and Acer

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using and when was the last time you ran a scan? Did you try doing a scan in "SAFE MODE"? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dhartinis

dhartinis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:22 PM

im using win XP. The last time i did a scan was 2 days ago.. and i juz did an anti virus scan in "SAFE MODE" right after i read ur reply. Im using Norton Anti Virus. And the result came as No Virus..no spyware no nothing... So does this means Monitor.exe is nothing serious? If its not serious, how do i turn it off?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:13 PM

Again it depends on what program it is related to, is it set to run as a startup or service and the location it is running from.

Do a search for the file to ascertain its full path location.

Go to Start -> Search -> All files and folders -> More advanced options. Checkmark these options:
- "Search system folders"
- "Search hidden files and folders"
- "Search subfolders"

Type in the name of the file (monitor.exe) and click "Search" to look for the file.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users