Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Re-allocate An Unallocated Partition On Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1techgirl

1techgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

Hi

I installed a trial version of Acronis True Image, and played around making backups, a secure zone and a recovery zone. Since it has now expired, I would like to remove the recovery zone, and the secure zone which I created using the ATI programme.

However, once past the trial date, I am not given the option to open the ATI programme to do these actions - am only given a choice to BUY NOW or CANCEL. I emailed the customer support services and they emailed back saying I could just delete the zones using the Disk Management in XP. However, they don't tell me how? Can you help? Here is a screen shot of my HD:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lasukita/BLEEPINGCOMPUTER

This is also the first time I have used Picasa so please let me know if u have problems viewing the shot!

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:46 PM

Understanding Hard Disk Partitions

How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP See if that helps you do what you need. If not please post back and we can help.

Be (Hard Disk Partition) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 1techgirl

1techgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:38 AM

Hi Animal

Thanks for ur reply. The problem am having now is that when I right click on the Unallocated partition in the Disk Management console, there is no option to delete it. I get three options available: New Partition, Properties and Help. Any ideas? Also, the first partition (Recovery 1.76 GB) you see in my screen shot is also created by ATI, and I would like to delete this as well.

Edited by 1techgirl, 21 October 2006 - 04:52 AM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

You can't delete unallocated space. You can create a new partiton to make that space available to you to store things in, but not delete it.

The RECOVERY partition you can delete by right-clicking on it and clicking delete, and confirming any warnings that popup. Then right click again and create new partion.

Be sure to format both new partitons before trying to use them.

Also, you should consider switching from FAT32 to NTFS

#5 1techgirl

1techgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:33 AM

Thanks Amazing Andrew,

I have now deleted the RECOVERY partition, and am going to create the new partitions, i.e the RECOVERY & the UNALLOCATED. Just hit another problem, sorry for my ignorance, but how to calculate what 1,76GB and 9.96GB to MB? (See the screen shot at http://picasaweb.google.com/lasukita/BLEEPINGCOMPUTER ). When I try to create a new partition, it asks me what size I want in MB, whereas the partitions I want are in GB. I hope you understand me!

Also, once I have created the partitions, will I just go back to having just 2 drives, C; and D; as before, or will I have 4 different drives? I just want to reallocate both unallocated partitions and integrate them back into my C; drive. Sorry to be so pedantic and I hope these questions aren't too stupid!

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:22 PM

1 gigbyte is equal to 1024 Megabytes. Therefore, 1.76 GB = 1802 MB; 9.96GB = 10199MB

The built in Windows Disk Management Snap in doesn't allow for combining/splitting/resizing/moving partitions without deleting the current partition structure and all data thereon. So, once you create the new partitons (and format them) you will have 4 logical drives each with different drive letters, filesystems, etc.

You may want to look at Partition Magic or other partition management software (there are other people here who can recommend good ones, I'm afraid I can't as I've never bothered to modify my partiton structure; I just nuke it and start again!! :thumbsup: ) In anycase, be sure to have current and complete backups of everything before you go messing with the partiton table.

#7 1techgirl

1techgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:41 AM

OK, will do, thanks. So does anyone else here on the forum know of any good user friendly partition management programmes for free? All the ones I can find on places like Downloads, SourceForge etc obvioously praise them all, but I would like someone who has tried and tested one personally. Then I'll give a go. BTW, am having problems too after a re-install of Win XP Home - perhaps someone from this forum would like to check it out and see if you can suggest something for me? As you can see from the link, I am having MAJOR problems! Thanks guys.

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/50163...properties.html

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:38 AM

I'm like the Amazing Andrew - with partition problems, I just nuke 'em and let the fallout settle where it may! :thumbsup:

I have used Partition Magic in the past, and find it to be a very good utility. The freeware versions all have had something lacking IMO. I do here recent good reviews about Paragon Software and one other that I can't seem to recall right now.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users