Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:52 PM

CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Case:ENERMAX 400W PS BK S5271BFSBK Case

Motherboard:ASUS A8N-E Motherboard - Socket 939 NF4 Ultra ATX PCI-E

Memory:PATRIOT 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR400 Memory - CL2.5 (PSD1G400K)

Video Card:Nvidea Geforce 6500 256mb

hard drive:WESTERN DIGITAL 200GB 7200RPM Hard Drive - 8MB Cache, IDE ATA100

Should all of this work?

BTW im getting all of this for $474.95(USD)

Thanks,
Josh

Edited by J_pyro_C, 20 October 2006 - 03:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

Patriot does not list PSD1G400K as compatible with the A8N-E, otherwise it looks good.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:50 PM

so i need different memory?

#4 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:31 PM

sorry but im an impatient person,but I guess I need to wait a little.but anyway people i need an answer please.

Thanks,
Josh

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:10 AM

Yes. Try using one of the memory configurators you can find on the websites of the memory manufacturers.
Corsair
Kingston
Crucial
Patriot
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:02 AM

You can use the Patriot memory - but won't be able to get any support from Asus if anything goes wrong.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:41 PM

so it should work just no support? cause im fine with no support since I never use it.only support I need is BC.

Much Thanks,
Josh

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:39 AM

Interestingly enough - Patriot says that it's stuff is compatible with your chosen mobo:
http://www.patriotmem.com/configurator/morepartsp.jsp

What this means is that Patriot will support your memory issues, but Asus won't support your motherboard issues. Depending on the RMA policies of the place that you're buying it from, this may or may not be an issue.

If it sounds like I'm straddling the fence here - I am! :thumbsup: It's because I can't predict what may go wrong, and what may be needed to fix it. Yes, we can help diagnose problems here - but if you're faced with a hardware replacement issue you must either have support (to exchange it) or you'll end up buying new hardware.

If it were me, I'd get the memory. I would expect it to function without problems. But my situation may be different from yours - I can afford to "chalk it up to experience" and buy a new mobo if needs be.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

ok well it may be a little later than christmas because for now im going to just upgrade my current computer.
im just going to upgrade my cpu and RAM.

Thanks,
Josh

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

Interestingly enough - Patriot says that it's stuff is compatible with your chosen mobo:
http://www.patriotmem.com/configurator/morepartsp.jsp

Umm...
Patriot lists these modules as compatible:
PSD1G400
PSD5124001
PSD1G333
PSD512333
PSD5123331
PSD1G266
PSD512266
PSD5122661
PSD1G400E
PSD5124001E
PSD1G333E
PSD512333E
PSD5123331E
PSD1G266E
PSD512266E
PSD5122661E

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

Actually, I inferred that the PSD1G400K modules were compatible by searching their site for "PSD1G400"

I got 12 results:
All were Patriot Signature modules (PSD1G = Patriot Signature DIMM 1 gB)
An E after the search terms seems to refer to ECC RAM (non-buffered)
An R after the search terms seems to refer to Registered RAM
An S after the search terms seems to refer to SODIMM's
A K after the search terms seems to refer to a Kit (2 x 512 mB)
Additionally the K model seems to have a CAS Latency of 2.5 (rather than the more common CAS 3)

Finally, there seems to be some discrepancy on the Patriot site itself. This page: http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp...=426&type=1
says that the features include ECC Registered memory. But the PDF file linked to from that page states that it's non-ECC and unbufferred.
So, since the base module (PSD1G400) is compatible, and since there's no discernable difference between the modules in that series that the mobo can't handle - it's (IMO) reasonable to assume that the modules are compatible.

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:17 AM

Your reasoning seems reasonable, but... The PSD1G400 consists of one 1GB stick with a CAS latency of 3, while the PSD1G400K consists of two 512MB sticks with a CAS latency of 2.5, as you pointed out. The single-stick version of the PSD1G400K is the PSD512400, which is a single 512MB stick with a CAS latency of 2.5. Notice that it is not listed as compatible either, instead the PSD5124001 is listed, which has a CAS latency of 3. Now it is not to far a stretch to conclude that the A8N-E can't run Patriot's PSD memory at 400MHz with a CAS of 2.5, which would make the PSD1G400K incompatible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users