Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Pages Not Loading

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tichbourn

Tichbourn

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help with a recent problem we're having. We had some funny goings on and was helped in this thread here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/66669/hijack-log-please-help-possible-infection/

I was directed to this forum on my last posting there and as the problem hasn't sorted itself out Im now asking for help here.

Whenever we go into sites such as Ebay, or Yahoo, when we click on a link, somewhere near the top of the page a message appears saying "Action Cancelled" and there is "i" sign beside it. The page still loads but it looks like there should be something in the space where the Action Cancelled appears. Any ideas what this could be?

Also, when searching google, a few of the top sites it recommends going into, the urls dont work, ie page cannot be displayed, yet when we actually type in the url itself directly into a site, ie, www.dell.co.uk, it will work.

The last hijack log we did showed it wasnt serious but this is rather annoying. We always used to be able to go into whatever sites google suggested.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

Check the filter levels on your firewall and AV.

If Win Xp:
Click Start / Run / type in; cmd/ and at the black command screen type in; ipconfig /flushdns
and/or try:
Start / Run / type in; regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Click OK

You might also try to empty your Temporary Internet Files folder:
Open IE.
Click Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
Click the Delete Files button.
When the box opens, put a check in Delete All Offline Content.
Click OK.

Also check PC date and time.
Double click the time in the taskbar, to open, and make sure the Time Zone and Daylight Savings settings are also correct.
Some sites block access when you have incorrect time settings.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Tichbourn

Tichbourn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

I have done all you have said, checked the date/time etc and it is ok. The problem is still there though, nothing has changed.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

Why don't you download Firefox and see if these sites load correctly on it?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Tichbourn

Tichbourn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

I have done that and still the pages wont load. With Firefox it gives a more explicit reason, eg

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at clkuk.tradedoubler.com

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at adfarm.mediaplex.com

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:04 AM

Those blocked sites mentioned in Firefox look like sites I have seen intentionally blocked by security programs.
If you have Spybot S&D or Spyblaster that would be the first place I would look to see if they have been intentionally blocked.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:05 AM

Thanx for providing those messages, now we have something to work with.
Have a read thru this Mozilla KB article Error Loading/Connecting to Web Sites.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 Tichbourn

Tichbourn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:05 AM

I've had a look through and cannot see anything obvious that is blocking such sites. Still it happens. It only seems to block the sites which google would recommend highlighted in blue at the top of the search results. Also, I cant see anything obvious why the odd part of a web page isnt displayed and comes up with action cancelled. :thumbsup:

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

I checked my Spyware Blaster program and the cookies from those sites you mentioned are blocked.

Do you have Site Advisor installed on your web browser? If not, I want to recommend it to you as a valuable tool to help you recognize sites that are known for spamming or bad downloads, etc.
http://www.siteadvisor.com/

Do not expect sites on the top of Google searches to be safe. Quite the opposite.

Edited by buddy215, 23 October 2006 - 06:27 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users