Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Programs To I Really Need?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 missee

missee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:24 AM

I am in no way shape or form good with computers... so please be patient.
Recently my computer has been running slower and slower, and after a little digging around I realised that my hard drive was full (Being the bright spark that I am).
So I deleted my photos and it made very little difference... i looked at the size of my other folders and they are hardly mammoth...
However I seem to have accumulated an extremely large amount of files in my program files folder... most of which I have no idea what they are or what they do... or even if I need them at all...
I need some help sorting through what is of vital importance to the running of my computer and what I can blow away in order to free up some space...
Here is the next part of my dilemma... my computer has a japanese operating system... and I dont read Japanese.... hahaha so absolutely ANY help or advice anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated!!!
Regards
Missee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:49 AM

Post a list of those that you're unsure of and we'll lend a hand.

Go to Start...Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs and let us know what's there. After that, we'll scan your Start folder for other stuff, then we'll move onto more complicated stuff.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 missee

missee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:44 PM

Here are a list of programs that I currently have...
  • Ad-aware SE personal
  • Adobe Reader 7.0 - Japanese
  • Apple Software update
  • Athlon 64 Processor Driver
  • Avast Antivirus
  • BIGLOBE (I have no idea what this is... it has Japanese Characters after it)
  • BitComet 0.60
  • Chuzzle Delux 1.0
  • DivX Codec
  • DivX content uploader
  • DivX Converter
  • DivX Player
  • DivX Web Player
  • Drag and Drop CD +DVD 5
  • Dynomite Delux 2.71
  • EVA (some japanese characters) on Mebius ver 2.0
  • Google Talk (Remove Only)
  • IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN
  • Intervideo WIN DVD
  • iPod for Windows 2005-09-23
  • iTunes
  • J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
  • Macromedia Flashplayer 8
  • Media Library
  • Media Library Server
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Japanese Language Pack
  • Microsoft Office Home Style+
  • Microsoft Office Personal Edition 2003
  • Microsoft (some Japanese) Basic
  • Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.7
  • Olympus Camedia Master 4.2
  • Quick time
  • Realtek AC'97 Audio
  • Sharp Speak Pal 2.0
  • Synaptics Pointing device driver
  • Ulead DVD VideoStudio 7 SE
  • Smart Link 56K Modem
  • Ulead DVD Movie Writer 4.0 SE
  • VIA Rhine-family Fast Ethernet Adapter
  • VIA /S3G DIsplay Driver
  • Windows Driver Package - MSN (usbccgp) USB (04/19/2006 1.1.0.2)
  • Windows Installer 3.1 (KB 893803)
  • Windows Live Messenger
  • Windows Live Safety Scanner
  • Windows Live Sign-in Assistant
  • Windows Media (some Japanese)
  • WinRAR Archiver
  • 5x Sharp (each one has japanese following it - only one ends in "ver.3.2"
  • The last 7 items on the list are in Japanese and I have NO idea what they are! - the pictures are 1-blue/white capsule with red dot, 2-blue circle divided into 6, 3,5&6- Computer with CD (x3), 4- ???, 7- Blue and Pink person in a blue circle
I realise this list is not very helpful... I truly am clueless with my computer. This is the list from my control panel as was suggested to me... however I noticed that they are not the same as the files in my program folders on my hard drive...

I really appreciate any assitance anyone can give me!!!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

Is your entire system Japanese? (do the menu's, etc show up in Japanese?)

You can probably safely remove the Japanese programs (with the possible exception of Microsoft Basic and Windows Media). By using the Add/Remove Programs dialog you'll be able to safely remove them.

Here's the one's that I'd get rid of:
# BIGLOBE (I have no idea what this is... it has Japanese Characters after it)
# BitComet 0.60
# Chuzzle Delux 1.0
# Dynomite Delux 2.71
# EVA (some japanese characters) on Mebius ver 2.0
# Google Talk (Remove Only)
# Olympus Camedia Master 4.2
# Sharp Speak Pal 2.0
# Ulead DVD VideoStudio 7 SE
# Ulead DVD Movie Writer 4.0 SE
# 5x Sharp (each one has japanese following it - only one ends in "ver.3.2"
# The last 7 items on the list are in Japanese and I have NO idea what they are! - the pictures are 1-blue/white capsule with red dot, 2-blue circle divided into 6, 3,5&6- Computer with CD (x3), 4- ???, 7- Blue and Pink person in a blue circle

You also may wish to delete the DVD codecs and other DVD programs (you can always re-download them if you need them).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users