Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not A Valid Win32 Application

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wilkie

wilkie

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:25 AM

I have just upgraded and put an Abit Fatal1ty AN8-SLi in my rig. I have tried to put the drivers on from the disk but whenever I try to open them an error pops up which says "G:\.........exe is not a valid Win32 application". I then tried loading files from other disks and the same error pops up.
Any Ideas?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

Hi, welcome to bleeps
this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
- what stage in the process are you at
- have you yet to reinstall the os
- some more details plz
everyday is a gift

#3 wilkie

wilkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

I haven't re-installed windows xp, its a windows xp upgrade on top of windows 98. I have checked all the connections and they appear to be fine. The hard drive is a 160GB SATA Seagate Barracuda and the DVD-Rewriter is Sony and IDE.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

See if anything here helps:
Not a valid Win32 application
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 wilkie

wilkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

fanks for help but nothing applies

#6 Peter H.

Peter H.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:56 PM

:thumbsup: I have every sympathy with this problem.

My version of the problem is this.

For ease of exchange of files, as in the Open University UK, I save all files as .RTF.

If I click on a file ending .RTF or .rtf this error message pops up.

If I start by opening the word processor first and then open the file - no porblem. This applies to Star Office and to WinWordXP.

If I change the ending to .doc, as Star Office is the programme I use most, it opens without any problem.

The problem that then arises is that I also transfer files to my palm top Jornada which runs Pocket Word. When it imports .doc files it converts them to .pwd, Pocket Word, files. These cannot be read when transferred back.

So I want my .rtf files to open properly. My laptop came with XPPro installed and all the programmes I use are compatible with this system.

It appears to have a bug which gives this error message built in.

So whats the answer? :flowers:

Peter H.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

What application do you have as the default for rtf or whatever other files are causing you a problem?

And, are those types of files supported by those applications?

#8 Peter H.

Peter H.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:02 AM

Thanks for your response.

In Folder Options > Files types I have asked that rtf files be opened by Star Office as default.

However when the rtf files show up in the folder index the attached icon is MSWord.

This is anomolous in itself! It seems to demonstrate the Microsoft determination to own everything!

doc files show a StarOffice icon - as they should. StarOffice opens documents in the rtf format rightly when they have the doc ending.

All other files types appear to operate/open as they should.

Thanks for your interest.

All good wishes,

Peter H. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users