Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to capture a Picture from Video File?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teejay7

teejay7

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:05 AM

But, the A/V section isnt as highly trafficed as this one, and I need an answer as soon as I can. My problem is my boss took our digital camera out to take pictures of a building. I work for a General Contractor. He's not very tech savvy at all and instead of taking pictures of the building, he took movies. So, theres 1 or 2 seconds of building, then 45 seconds of him walking around.

He of course asked me to upload what he thinks are pics to my computer, I uploaded the videos and they are in Quicktime Player. My question is, is there a way to just capture that second of building and save it as a pic? Quicktime isnt any help, I could do this if I had Quicktime Pro, but not player. I've tried opening it with different programs, but it won't even play b/c the extension is wrong.

Any help is appreciated, thanks everyone!!! Oh, and sorry for posting this in the wrong section, but like I said, I need help quickly.

//Mod edit: Moved to the appropriate forum and added a Title.//

Edited by KoanYorel, 20 October 2006 - 09:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

Hi teejay7! First off, you can post in the appropriate forums. Despite the amount of traffic that any one particular area recieves (or does not recieve), it is still checked frequently for new posts. I check the A/V and photo sections everytime I'm on Bleepingcomputer.

Now, as far as pulling a still from your movie, without the appropriate software, you may very well be out of luck. The only thing that I can think of is to pause the movie when it's on a good still of the building, then hit print screen, and then open up a photo editing program and go to Edit>Paste. This will paste your screen shot into the photo editing program, and will allow you to alter it accordingly. You'll want to crop out the rest of your screen leaving just the building. The downside to this is that it'll be a low quality image. Depending on your knowledge/experience in working with photo editing programs, you may be able to make the image look a tad better.

On the flip side, you could pollitely (and with a HUGE smile on your face) tell your boss that "The camera was set wrong, and the photos were actaully videos! OMG that's kind of funny huh boss?!?!?!!! Tell you what, I'll go back out right now and take some more and you'll have them in 20 minutes!" This will hopefully make you look good, and is a good "political" approach to your boss as long as you keep happy and act like he didn't screw up.

Hope all this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

For movie formats such as mpg, avi, and wmv, you can pull them into windows movie maker and capture stills from there.

As for formats such as quicktime (mov) or Real (rm), it may be possible to do a capture using picture editing software such as paintshop pro, but don't take my word for it, as I haven't tried it, but it's worth a go.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#4 xindy_titan

xindy_titan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:44 AM

i think you can try some professional screen capture software such as ACA capture PRo or super capture.....
both can solve you problem well..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users