Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail Issue.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:57 AM

Hi All,
First post in this forum, so here goes.
Every time I delete Cookies & Temp Files,I lose my login Email address and password.Getting sick of this and would be gratefull is someone had an answer.As a rookie,an answer in plain step by step instuctions would be appreciated,if there is a simple solution.Thanks in advance.

WINDOWS XP SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

Use a cleaner such as Ccleaner. It will give you the option of what cookies, etc. not to delete and remove the rest. It also does a more thorough job of keeping your comp clean. I use Hotmail and there is 17 cookies associated with login and hotmail functions!!

http://www.ccleaner.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the tips and link buddy215. I am amazed how quickly someone responds to my question.
Sure looks like the ace place to get help. :thumbsup:
One last question and may seem elementary.
Will I be able to identify plainly the Cookies I must retain?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:46 AM

The cookies will have the words login, msn, hotmail, live.com, etc.

How to block third party cookies in Internet Explorer:
Click start/control panel/double click Internet Options/click privacy tab/click advanced/check override automatic cookie handling/uncheck always allow session cookies/select block third-party cookies/click OK
Third-party cookies track your use of the Internet for advertising purposes. That is why they are considered adware/spyware.

Setting your cookie control options as above will keep the undesireable cookies from ever installing.

Edited by buddy215, 20 October 2006 - 09:13 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

Great,thanks for your help, buddy215.

DSTM.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

A warning note about Ccleaner is in order, especially if you are not very clever with computers; deleting everything Ccleaner presents without really looking at each entry or knowing what it is you are deleting can lead to computer malfunctions. So please be very cautious in using ANY cleaner application, as sometimes they present items that you absolutely need to run some applications.
Many cookies are very useful; a blanket deletion is therefore not recommended. Most anti-spyware applications, on the other hand, will find the bad tracking cookies, and allow you to delete only those.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

Hi JOHN,
Thanks for the caution, and I will take due care and analyse very carefully before deleting.
I am just learning and any advice is welcomed.

DSTM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:47 AM

The problem with waiting to delete 3rd party coookies by using a security program is that the cookies have already collected your private info and will simply reinstall themselves the next time you visit the site(s) from where they originated. I have yet to visit a site where 3rd party cookies were needed for the site to function.
As to using Ccleaner, the default settings for cleaning are safe with the exception of possibly one and that is under systems. Uncheck "Chkdsc File fragments". Do not check any items under "Advanced" category.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

A long time ago, in a land far away (actually, it was El Paso, TX in 2001) I blocked MSN cookies from my system. A couple of months later I went to access my Hotmail online and couldn't! It took me another month to straighten it out!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:13 AM

Thanks buddy215,John and usasma for all your great advice.
Will download Ccleaner and go from there. :thumbsup:
DSTM.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:41 AM

If you are going to mess with registry cleaners (CCleaner), I suggest you create both System Restore points and make backups of your registry before using them.

CCleaner is one of the safer of those type of applications but it can still hose your op system if you do not know what you are doing.

One word of caution with CCleaner:(Modifies registry – Always backup your registry before using)
(Prefetch Cleaning Warning - The Advanced section of Ccleaner has a performance degrading option to “clean Old Prefetch data", never select this option for cleaning as it will actually increase load times for Windows and your installed, most used applications.
Cleaning the Prefetch folder as beneficial is a Myth and actually degrades performance. Windows by default cleans this folder at 128 entries. Anyone who claims this folder should be cleaned for ANY reason does not understand what prefetching is or how it works.)

I suggest Erunt (freeware) to automatically make registry backups on a schedule you set.

ERUNT Emergency Recovery Utility
Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
or
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Another option other than to use a third party registry cleaner would be to use the following instead:
Windows One Care Free Scan (online scan)

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

It is made by Microsoft for XP and doesn't have nearly the same propensity to hose your registry that third party aps that alter of change the registry do.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:22 AM

Hi Enthusiast,
That sounds like sensible advice to me.As far as system restore,I have Windows Defender Beta 2 which sets up restore points about six times a day.To me, other than doing this, I have found WD to be absolutely useless.Maybe I'm wrong, as it has never found one thing yet.Will download Erunt also.In the short time I have had this PC, I have had to have the OS reloaded on two occasions.(expensive) My techy has put Acronis on as well as an insurance.I was too inquisitive at first and paid the price.Now I ask first.
Thanks for all your help.

DSTM.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:24 AM

Ccleaner does have a "registry cleaner" that one can access by using the "Issues" option. It also has a secure deletion function where one can choose to overwrite what is deleted by Ccleaner either 3 or 7 times. That is just 2 of the uses of Ccleaner. The one use that I recommended is for cleaning temp files and logs without removing the cookies you need for Hotmail to fully function.
Blocking of 3rd party cookies is recommended by most if not all security companies and advisors. Some Browsers even do this by default.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

Just my 2˘ - but the use of CCleaner is safe as long as you don't change anything! You can even change the "Cleaner settings" without too many problems.

BUT, once you start messing around in the Issues, Tools, or Options - disaster can follow quickly (this is from my own personal experience).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users