Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frontpage Extensions Vs .htaccess

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carninesix

carninesix

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

Hello peeps,

I am new to running my own web site, so lots of questions. Most of the time a search finds an answer, this one I could not see.

OK first, host is LUNARPAGES on UNIX/LINUX, I know its not Windows2003 server. Anyway I have FP 2003 and can design in FP and publish via FTP, that all works fine.

The question is, should I install FP extensions or stay with the original .htaccess stuff. There is a big disclaimer about installing FP extensions as it removes the .htaccess protection.

This question has arrizen from the need to have password protected pages on the e-commerce site. Users can join and have access to all pages. I don't want to run the e-commerce site in a PHP style as this limits what I can do as far as design goes.

I am hosting two (2) separate sites, 1 will be e-commerce the other a PHP style game clan website.

I am hoping that that is enough information for those that understand such things.

Steve
Oldest desktop, home build, WinXP Pro, P4 @ 1.8, 1Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 6600 256Mb, Maxtor 40 Gb C-60 Gb D, NEC DVD+RW I, LG CDRW J, 17" 1280X1024 32Bit, Cooler Master Aquagate, Motorola SB5101 Cable modem, Belkin G Plus MIMO Router, Belkin 1200VA UPS
Laptop, COMPAQ V5205NR
Middle desktop, eMachines W6409, added 1 Gb ram, added ATI X300 256 Mb
Newest desktop, home build, Vista Ultimate, Conroe 6600 @ 2.4, 2Gb ram, nVidia 8800GTX 768Mb, Samsung 500 Gb Sata, Samsung DVD, 22" 1680X1050 32Bit, CyberPower 1285VA UPS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:57 AM

There is a big disclaimer about installing FP extensions as it removes the .htaccess protection.

I think that says it all. If you install the extensions, all the liability will fall on your shoulders. I have a sneaking suspicion that in spite of this discalimer, there is probably some other text in your agreement that removes all liability from your host anyway.

I think the question comes down to, do you know enough to compensate for the (apparent) security breach caused by installing the extensions? I don't know that answer.

#3 carninesix

carninesix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

Hello groovicus,

I don't think I or anybody else would ever know enough to compensate all the time, it is a permant game of catch-up.

The question I am asking is more of which is the better road to go down, being the two different things I want to do as they both use the same server?

Steve
Oldest desktop, home build, WinXP Pro, P4 @ 1.8, 1Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 6600 256Mb, Maxtor 40 Gb C-60 Gb D, NEC DVD+RW I, LG CDRW J, 17" 1280X1024 32Bit, Cooler Master Aquagate, Motorola SB5101 Cable modem, Belkin G Plus MIMO Router, Belkin 1200VA UPS
Laptop, COMPAQ V5205NR
Newest desktop, home build, Vista Ultimate, Conroe 6600 @ 2.4, 2Gb ram, nVidia 8800GTX 768Mb, Samsung 500 Gb Sata, Samsung DVD, 22" 1680X1050 32Bit, CyberPower 1285VA UPS

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

I don't think I or anybody else would ever know enough to compensate all the time, it is a permant game of catch-up.

True. It's just that they went through the trouble of pointing out the potential problems. I apologize for not being particularly helpful, but I don't know enough about the technology involved to say either way, and it would be irresponsible of me to represent myself in any other way. All things considered, I would not use the extensions, because first and foremost, I have a responsibility to my clients. Since neither solution seems ideal, is there perhaps a third alternative?

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:47 AM

I personally would not use the extensions. The question you need to ask yourself is if you actually need the extra functionality of the extensions? All the extensions do is make your life a little easier. Any prebuilt applets that they provide can readily be found elsewhere if you put a little time.

Plus people who rely on extensions tend to not learn the inner workings of their site as well as those who create it all by hand or by downloading and install scripts they find elsewhere. If you use frontpage, you will be left wondering how to fix something if it breaks. While if you do it all yourself, you will be knowledgeable about what to do.

Also htaccess is just too important of a tool to give up in my opinion. Not only does it allow you to give permissions to folders, but to also rewrite rules which is a handy feature that you may want to use in the future.

On a completely different note, why does PHP limit your functionality on the ecommerce site?

#6 carninesix

carninesix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:32 AM

On a completely different note, why does PHP limit your functionality on the ecommerce site?

Hello, this may be my dumbness or just a quirk. What I am trying to do is have the game stuff in a "normal" game type enviroment as far as PHP goes, most clan sites use this method so it is user friendly and farmiliar.

When it comes to the e-commerce site, well I want it to be "simple" htm/html stuff. I am going to be designing web pages and setting up small ( 1 - 3 page ) web sites. I wish to keep the code simple for two reasons;

1 - Make it easy for me.

2 - Make it easy for the customers to understand.

I am using FP 2003 to make life easy for me, yes I can code in note pad but for speed I like FP. All the pages I design must be cross platform compatable and work in all screen resolutions (640 - 800 - 1024 - 1280), I left the height out and the extra wide screens.

The actuall design I am not new too, it is the hosting I am new too. I have a home network and use FP for displaying information on multiple computers.

Steve
Laptop, COMPAQ V5205NR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users