Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Wireless Cards, One Laptop.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

I just bought a Netgear USB Wireless-G adapter for my laptop to replace the older Linksys PCMCIA Wireless-G card. And I thought to myself: would it be possible to run both cards at the same time and take advantage of places like the Library where they have multiple hotspots overlapping each on a different channel?

They both work fine when attached together, but one or the other will not be utilized by the computer. How can I configure, for example, Limewire to use one card, and my internet browser to use the other?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

The answer is yes, it's possible. But how to do it is the question. I presume that it has something to do with bridging the connections between the 2 cards - but you also may need some software to make it happen. Sorry, but I can't help with that! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

Bridging the connections so that Windows sees it as one connection?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:52 AM

Yes. I've read about it, but have never tried it myself. I've found that the network bridge needlessly complicates my home network. And, since it's primarily trying to bridge devices that aren't used with my NIC cards (Firewire1394 and dialup modems) - I disable it on all systems that I have.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users