Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Art Files Not Showing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 theganjagorilla

theganjagorilla

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

Hey folks, I've got a lil problem....About a week ago I tried to open one of the many ART files on my computer, and all I got was the little simbol everyone has seen when the pic wont display. I tried another ART file, and another none of them will open now, and I can't think of what may have happened to cause this.

I've tried opening the file with E-explorer, quick time, real player, even a program that is designed to read ART files. I started to suspect the files were deleted, but when I click on the properties of the ART file it states that there is still so many KBs of data in there. also if I run a seach for the file name using the "find" feature on my windows 98 op sys I'm still able to locate the folder the file was in, but still can't open it up.

Any suggestions? ART files represent over half of my 1 gig graphic library.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hi theganjagorilla!

If you're talking about ".art" files, then please check this topic HERE, as it migt be of some help to you.

I think this is the same problem that you are having!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I included the link the the "HERE", as tg1911 pointed out that I had accidently neglected to include the link :flowers: Thanks for keeping me straight tg1911! :trumpet:

Edited by stevealmighty, 20 October 2006 - 12:32 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 theganjagorilla

theganjagorilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:38 PM

Hey thanks for the reply SteveAlmighty!

That link was very informative.

I was able to solve the problem in part. Thanks to a reply I got over at Cannabis Culture, I reloaded the AOL soft wear, used the browser to open the intact file, and then save the file as a bitmap image. Afterwords I used another imaging soft program to covert the bitmap image to and Jpeg. A lot of work for some 500+ files, but at least I didn't loose the data.

One thing though, why all the sudden did the files stop opening without using the AOL browser? I haven't used AOL in months, and I can't think of anything else that had changed, (i.e. loading new soft wear.) Perhaps it will remain a mystery. One thing I can say, I'll never go back to AOL again.

Again thanks for your help, and I hope anyone else having similar problems might find this thread helpful.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

stevealmighty,

EDIT: I included the link the the "HERE", as tg1911 pointed out that I had accidently neglected to include the link :thumbsup: Thanks for keeping me straight tg1911! :flowers:

That's what I'm here for. :trumpet:

theganjagorilla,

Afterwords I used another imaging soft program to covert the bitmap image to and Jpeg. A lot of work for some 500+ files, but at least I didn't loose the data.

Does the program you use offer Batch Conversion?
That would have cut way down, on your time.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users