Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Unfreeze A Winxp Lockup

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

Hi All:

I find that XP frequently locks up, even when in the middle of performing the simplest tasks. I also had the same problem with Windows ME. It drove me nuts until I finally replaced it with Win2000.

Although I'm no authority on technical matters IMHO both ME and XP are highly unstable systems. The most stable Win OS in my experience is Win2000.

What I've found with XP though is that, when it freezes, if you just wait for perhaps a minute or so it tends to unfreeze and return to normal.

So the next time XP freezes up, instead of desperately clicking your mouse or repeatedly hitting ENTER and then giving up to shut down and reboot when nothing happens, just WAIT PATIENTLY FOR A MINUTE OR SO.

It works like magic. XP will suddenly start to come out of its coma and stir to life, the screen will flicker, and BINGO! You'll be back in business.

Best wishes to all,

Scratcher.

:thumbsup:

Edited by scratcher, 19 October 2006 - 07:38 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:51 AM

XP, especially XP Pro is the most stable op system Microsoft has ever produced.

If you are getting freeze-ups you have a problem with your system.
It is not the op system.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:10 AM

Enthusiast

I agree XP is the most stable op system that Microsoft has ever made, I am speaking from 30 plus years of experience, and have been working on MS op systems Since Windows 1.0, and Dos before that, I worked DEC op systems(most Stable op system ever is Open VMS, with Uptime measured in years.)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:02 AM

IMHO, I think that scratcher brought up a very good point....just wait a minute. I find that when winxp, or any program for that matter, is taking longer to do something than what most people think it should take, they start pressing keys, mashing the keyboard and then hitting ctrl+alt+del 8 or 9 times because task manager didn't pop up right away. All this button pressing usually leads to the computer being reset or powered off then on again, followed by bad words. Waiting a minute or two will usually allow xp to fix itself and wake up as scratcher said. I know that my wife is impatient when it comes to computers, as she thinks that it should be faster than lightning, no matter what the machine is doing.

As far as a stable OS, well, let's just say that win98 SE was the only OS that I NEVER had a problem with! Of course, and being fair, I have a lot more programs on my comp now (XP) than my little 233mhz P1 with 32 MB ram ever did!!! I still have that machine, although I pulled it's (at the time) massive 5 gb hdd out! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

If it freezes and then unfreezes a while later - it's most likely a resource problem (also could be caused by corrupt software or malware).

This is the magic of XP - it's able to recover from things that would cause 98 to kick up it's legs and die. FYI - Vista has even taken this a step further and will be welcomed by those of us who suffer from this problem (FWIW - My laptop is starting to suffer from this, but I'm just too durned lazy to fix it right now!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:06 AM

Well, I am also a sufferer of this problem. Fortunately, consider myself very lucky- with WinXP being a stable OX that has the inherent ability to recover from arising issues on its own volition. Just give it a bit of time ( with a added effort of patience on one's part)- it works magic. My question is, how do you handle a situation when it doesn't wakeup from the freeze at its own volition?? Recently, I had experienced a freeze and it did not recover on its own. I couldn't do anything , nor was I able to shut down through the normal process. I end up turning the power off-restart again -than I was able to recover. So, tell me how should one deal with the issue when it would not unfreeze on its own??? Thank you. YOYO. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by MGBY, 21 October 2006 - 06:08 AM.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:15 AM

I always try to do ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager, and see if there's a program that's unresponsive (via the Applications tab). If there is, I end it (and choose "END NOW" if that window pops up). This will usually free up the lock up so to speak. Sometimes, just bringing up the task manager is enough to wake up XP from it's lockup.

If that doesn't work, and xp is still frozen, then I usually do a hard reset (mash the power off button). I know this is bad, as it doesn't give xp the chance to shut down correctly. If someone else has an alternative to just shutting the machine off (then on again), I'd be interested in hearing it! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:50 PM

When I mash the power off button, it was the last resort when ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager, and end now (popup did not popup) were not responsive. What are you to do when task manager do not respond?? Mashing power button is not a good practice, but............????? Any suggestion as to what an ideal solution is-please inform! I would be interested in hearing from everyone as what would you do in a given similar situation. Thank you very much. Cheers. YOYO. :thumbsup:

Edited by MGBY, 21 October 2006 - 06:57 PM.

#9 cowboy357

cowboy357

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

No help from me I,m afraid. But I,ve had the same problem ever since I installed windows xp home sp2. I had windows 98 before & never had a freeze or crash, now its 4 or 5 times a day. Only way to recover is a complete manuall restart. I have a clean system. & had pcpitstop, check my system & I have no problems as far as theyre conserned. So I would also like to know if theres a fix or whats causing it. thanks .Cowboy
Yer Only gonna be as happy, as You decide to be . Cowboy

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

There's so many things that can cause this problem. Have a look at this page just to see the list of the common BSOD's: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

And this doesn't include the mystery crashes/freezes that don't generate the BSOD.

Also, since each system is different, and is setup differently, it means that each symptom has to be troubleshot individually.

Some things to start with:

1) Copy down any error messages and any particular programs that are causing problems.
2) Check your Event Viewer ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ ) for any error messages. The link above was designed primarily for BSOD events - so you'll have to check all 3 or 4 categories (Application, Security, System, and Internet Explorer (if using IE7)).
3) Search your hard drive for files created at the time of the freeze.
4) Search your hard drive for files that end in .dmp or .mdmp - these are memory dump files and can be analyzed using this procedure: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Then paste the results into your next post so we can have a look-see.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 cowboy357

cowboy357

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

Ok John, I read Your links. I donot have the bsod problem. just constant freezing. I went to the error logs & the only thing that shows at the exact time of freezes, Is AVG EMS , & AVG 7updsvc, I assume this has to do with my free AVG virus scanner. it,s been a pain ever since I,ve got it, & I have not updated it to the new 7.5 as of yet because the files to big for My slow dialup, especially with these constant crashes. I would just uninstall it but am afraid to go without any virus protection, Any ideas. & is it possible it,s My problem. ? Thanks Cowboy.

#12 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

USASMA SIR: most appreciated for the invaluable link to understand BSOD, and advice on how to troubleshoot or handle a "lock or freeze". I will check out the site and perform a search of events viewer and the hard drive files. Thank you. Regards. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#13 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

XP, especially XP Pro is the most stable op system Microsoft has ever produced.

If you are getting freeze-ups you have a problem with your system.
It is not the op system.

Really?

This is a brand new XP laptop that has hardly been used at all except for a bit of word processing and it's constantly freezing up, even when doing the simplest task and when maybe only one or two windows are open. I used to have the same problem with my Win ME desktop, but after shifting to Win 2K it stopped.

Thanks for your troubleshooting suggestions. When I have some time to spare I'll try them out.

As far as a stable OS, well, let's just say that win98 SE was the only OS that I NEVER had a problem with!

With me it's been Win98 and Win 2K.

I would never go back to Win Me, nor forward (on my desktop) to XP. I've seen enough of both.

And from what I hear the new 'Win whatever' that is about to replace XP is no better which is why - HERESY! - I've been considering joining the Apple fanboys and switching to a Mac.

:thumbsup:

Edited by scratcher, 25 October 2006 - 10:13 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#14 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:09 AM

Cowboy 357

There is no need to worry about not having an antivirus for a short time. If you want to change, download your choice (I like AVAST), then go offline while you uninstall AVG and install your new one. Go back online and update, and you should be all set.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#15 cowboy357

cowboy357

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

Thanks rowal5555, I di as you said, & all is safe, I dumped ALL of My other stuff, & now have, AVG 7.5 - Spyware blaster - Superantispyware - Ccleaner - & High Jack This, just so I can keep an eye on things. I also ran Djlizards dial a fix & it has seemed to take care of 90% of My freezes. But everyday at 8 am everyday, it still freezes, doesn,t matter how long I wait it will not recover untill I do a manual reboot. Question is , is it possible that the WGA error log, or WGA notify is causing this. because everytime I run Ccleaner right after the freeze these 2 items show in the cleaning. The error logs only shows things to do with AVG updates . which I have shutooff, I,m still stumped, I also have windows updates auto shutoff, But check frequently for them, Any Ideas, Thanks , Cowboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users