Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Reinstall Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tekrsq

tekrsq

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

I've searched the forums here and came up with some EXCELLENT info, but unfortunately I appear to still be missing something because I still can't get my puter straightened out.

I bought a bigger hard drive and installed into my main computer, then installed my copy of Windows XP. Everything went fine.....no problems what so ever.

The hard drive I took out of the main computer I reformatted to NTFS (it was FAT32 and XP was missing some files and having a hard time anyway). I then took the empty, reformatted hard drive and placed it into my "backup" puter. As I attempt to reload Windows XP, everything goes as normal until I get to the screen that tells me to pick a partition to laod the XP. Then it tells me I already have a copy of "windows" and do I want to delete it and overwrite with the new copy. When I hit yes, the entire process of reformatting, choosing partition, etc just keeps "looping" itself. I cannot get past that point of the install process.

I'm no puter expert by any means, but I have changed, reformatted, reinstalled operating systems on several occasions without any problems. However, I have no idea why this install keeps looping itself and will not let me install it.

Tommy

Edited by tekrsq, 19 October 2006 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

What you may need to do is delete the partition on the hdd you want to install Windows XP onto and then create the partition and then try install Windows XP on the partition you just made.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 tekrsq

tekrsq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

I tried that a couple of times with no luck. HOWEVER, I did get my problem solved. I finally got in touch with a buddy of mine that does computer repair for the govt. As soon as I told him what it was doing, he knew right off what the problem was. I have a Western Digital HD that I had set the jumper to "master". He told me that since I was only installing a single hard drive in this system, I needed to remove the jumper altogether (which apparently puts the HD in "single" mode). I saw that on the HD casing, but still thought it had to be a "master" even with a single HD. Either way, it's fixed, XP is loaded, and I have a little more knowledge for next time.

Thanks for the help, though !!!!!!!

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

Jumper Issue, yeap that can happen. (HARDWARE) :thumbsup:
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users