Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do You Have Vista Yet?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have Vista yet? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have Windows Vista yet?

1. Yes. (20 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. No. (36 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

just wondering how many people have already tried vista,Right now i have vista on my computer so my vote is a yes.

Edited by J_pyro_C, 19 October 2006 - 07:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

No I dont.

Will it be worth the upgrade for a few new graphics and maybe some better security?

What do you think?

#3 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

so far i havent found anything worth the upgrade.they have cut out so many things that would make it worth while to upgrade but as of now no its just not really worth it.the graphics may be nice but it slows down your computer alot.
I would not upgrade until SP2 or something like that when they have all the things that they were originaly going to be in Vista.

Regards,
Josh

Edited by J_pyro_C, 19 October 2006 - 06:38 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

I've just counted up my Vista builds and I've got 12 of them! I've run Vista on my home desktop (P4 3.0 gHz Prescott and AGP video) and on my Toshiba M45 laptop (only the earlier builds).

I'm going to build a new system for Vista - just waiting for things to settle down at home before I start spending all that money!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

Im going to do the same around christmas,things should be cheaper by then,since just about every week the prices go down.most likely im going to get:
CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Case:ENERMAX 400W PS BK S5271BFSBK Case

Motherboard:ASUS A8N-E Motherboard - Socket 939 NF4 Ultra ATX PCI-E

Memory:PATRIOT 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR400 Memory - CL2.5 (PSD1G400K)

Video Card:Nvidea Geforce 6500 256mb

hard drive:WESTERN DIGITAL 200GB 7200RPM Hard Drive - 8MB Cache, IDE ATA100

Should all of this work?

all of this is $474.95(USD)

Thanks,
Josh

Edited by J_pyro_C, 20 October 2006 - 12:22 PM.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

I will be adding Vista to a new build after the first of the year.
If only initially to learn the ins and outs, and to try to help others as they acquire it too.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

oh and usasma,thats a lot of Vista Builds.lol I only have one.poor me.

Regards,
Josh

Edited by J_pyro_C, 20 October 2006 - 03:15 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

I dunno if the mobo has SATA slots, but I'd get a SATA II drive in preference to an IDE.

I've been a Microsoft beta tester for about a year now. Towards the end, they were releasing the betas faster than I could install them on my system!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:56 PM

is there any difference like in hooking up the hard drives?any size diffrences?
(ive never even seen a sata drive.lol)

Thanks,
Josh

#10 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:58 PM

and somehow i doubt that only 3 people on this whole forum have vista but i guess people are just not in to voting.lol.or maybe only 3 have it.(doubt it though.)

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

I also have a copy on a test computer. Seems to work okay. My test computer is 3 years old and it seems to use a lot of resources without anything besides the OS running. At work, we normally wait until some time has passed before we start thinking of installing a new OS on everyone's computer. I think with this release, we will install only when new computers are purchased - instead of using a mass upgrade. We never really had any show stoppers with Windows 2000 in our environment. In fact, after all the years that XP has been around, we just started introducing it to our work environment.

If you just want to do the basics with your computer, why upgrade to Vista unless you have a specific need to do so, or a new computer has a license for it. Personally, I want to use it since I enjoy helping others with computers. Also, being a techie geek, it is hard to resist a new version of an OS. We've come a long way since MS-DOS...
JC

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

With all the hullabaloo from Symantic and McAfee (and perhaps a host of other security companies) about MS's seeming unwillingness to co-operate with them and enforcing a MS monopoly on Vista computer security, and some other MS "rules" for Vista use, I fully intend to wait until I spend money to buy it. Quite frankly, in order to meet financially-driven milestones, MS is offering a new version without many new, and needed, enhancements (I am particularly thinking here of the touted new files system that is needed as hard drives become ever larger and more applications and data are commonly stored on them), except a pretty GUI interface.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:55 AM

SATA is a PITA for those motherboards without native SATA support (like my Asus P4P800 SE) - but the newer boards are coming with built-in support, which makes life much easier!

The SATA drives require a different power connector and use different cables from IDE. You can get a power dongle that'll convert the 4 pin molex from the PSU to the SATA.

#14 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

ok well ill figur all that out around christmas through january.

Much Thanks,
Josh

Edited by J_pyro_C, 22 October 2006 - 02:38 PM.

#15 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:26 PM

I'm running Vista RC1 on my primary pc, and it's more stable than XP *gasp*
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users