Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Reset, Several Things Missing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

hi all,

just turned on my PC about 15 mins ago, and it said something like "cant find profile" and then restored my windows back to what appears like pretty much standard.

ive lost all my desktop items, all the preferances, including IE, and prob other programs.

what has happened exactly? im not to bothered about the settings, its the folder i put on the desktop yesturday that i need to find.

any advice? thanks. deano

edit: to add, ive also lost ALL of the file in my documents :thumbsup:

Edited by notamondayfan, 19 October 2006 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:19 PM

Were you still able to use your logon to sign in?

Use Windows Explorer to look for your documents on the C: drive which is probably your default drive.

Do you know the file extension that your docs are saved in? Are they .doc?

If they are (or you know whatthe file extension is) do a search for them.

Click start/search/files and folders -
in the what do you want to search for box on the left choose documents and folders
where it says all or part of the document name type *.doc
click search

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:19 AM

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/

In the event you get an Access Denied error, please check this link for a solution: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/

Edited by usasma, 20 October 2006 - 10:20 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users