Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag Reaches Only A Certain Percentage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 edd080

edd080

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:54 AM

Hi to all, i would like to ask you if anyone has encountered a similar problem, I am trying to defrag my hard disks, one has a capacity of 80GB and the other is of 160GB when i try to defragment both hard disks, they both reach a certain percentage such as 40 % and a message pops up saying Defragmentation complete some files could not be defragmented, view report. Why is it that each hard disk that i defragment,one after the other, do not continue up to a 100%? :thumbsup:
Thanks for any help.
AMD Athlon XP2800+
2GB RAM (Corsair)
ATI Radeon X800PRO (256MB)
Samsung 80GB
Maxtor 160GB
Creative Audigy 4 Sound Blaster
Windows XP PRO (SP2)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stubbles

stubbles

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:08 AM

hello. Mine does the same thing. Ihope someone here can give us an answer and a simple fix.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

Here are a couple of ideas.
1. Make sure there is enough free disk space on each hard drive to allow the defragmentation application to work. Generally about 15 percent is required.
2. Run scandisk, or checkdisk, before defragmenting, and delete any unneeded files (clear out temp files especially).
3. Defragment your hard drives in Safe Mode.

If these suggestions do not work, or if you have already tried them, then create a separate post (per member) and tell us what version of Windows you are using, what defragmention application you are using, and the size of each hard drive and the amount of each that is currently being used. Make a copy of the report in case it is needed.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:01 AM

Most commonly this is cause by something interrupting the defrag process (which requires unrestricted access to the disk while it's working).

3 common alternatives are:
1) A payware defragmenter that addresses this problem
2) Run your defragmentation in Safe Mode
3) Defrag using this free, online scanner: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:54 AM

Another defragmenting program is Diskeeper Lite, it's freeware and can be downloaded from here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 stubbles

stubbles

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

Hey - It's fixed!! I downloaded CCleaner and scrubbed all the caca away, then lo and behold! - my hd is completely defragged! Great stuff!

ccleaner.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users