Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am New To Overclocking. What Should I Oc To?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SPL Tech

SPL Tech

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

I just got a new custom computer and I am possibly looking to overclock it. But first of all what exactly is overclocking? I understand the basics of what it is, but I would like a little more detailed information of what it involves. Secondly, what do I all need to overclock my system? What do I need to do to overclock my system? And what is a SAFE speed to over clock to? I don’t want to burn anything up. I have my case’s temperature sensor attacked to my CPU’s heatsink, and on average it reads 70 degrees F. It never goes over 85 degrees F.

This is what I have:

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 1066MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Keyboard: Sunbeam EL-KB-07SL 2-Tone PS/2 Wired Standard Illuminated Keyboard - Retail

PSU: ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V 535W Power Supply - Retail

Video card: Open Box: connect3D 3056 Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

Monitor: Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Floppy drive: MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive - OEM

Case: APEVIA (ASPIRE) MX-PLEASURE-BK Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX 500W dual fan w/ automatic fan speed control. Connector 20 + 4 pin Power Supply - Retail

Optical drive: LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SHW160P6S05 - OEM

Simpler version:
CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400
RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
Graphics: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II
HD: 250 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB.
OD: 52X DVD±RW
CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:38 AM

Overclocking is when you increase the core voltage making the core work faster, but could be unstable and creates more heat. Some processors, motherboards, RAM overclokc better. There's no real good anwser for how much can you overlock, as first you mentioned is custom.

If you have good cooling, that would be good. I pretty sure without the entuhisiest level motherboard from ASUS that you'll have to overclock the FSB (Front Side Bus) to increase your core frequency. Your processors speed is determined by your Front Side Bus' speed and how many multipliers. Although the only one of the new ASUS boards can unlock the multipliers, as I know. And the 1000$ Extrme X6800 has unlocked multipliers.

Lets say your FSB is 200 MHZ, your cores multipliers is 8. So 8x200=1.6. That's where your speed comes from. Increasing the multipliers is a much better way of overclocking. But back when they weren't locked like on the first Pentiums and Pentiums 2's, people would put better cooling in them and easily overclock them instead of buying the more expensive higher end Pentiums 1s and 2s. So they lock them up and down, so you can underclock them. ( AMD's chips can be underclocked down with multipliers, so that you can save power and reduce noise, liek if your computer's sitting idle or in my case, downloading torrents)

It's much more easier and better to overclock using the multipliers since if something goes wrong, only your processors' dead, not everything else liek your video card, RAM, ect. The FSB is the bus your processors uses to talk to all your componants, os overclocking that could cause conflist between them and screw up a alot of stuff if done wrong. That's why I said it's hard to say, it depends on your RAM, motherboard, video card, cooling. But I have read articles on Anadtech about the Conroe series, and they were quite good overclockers, the E6600 got up to around 3.6GHz with air cooling, and the E6400 got up around there to.

Sorry for the long post.

Edited by protozero, 19 October 2006 - 03:39 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:46 AM

Guide to overclocking Core 2 Duo

The temperature of the heat sink isn't really interesting. What you'll need to look at is what the temperature diode inside the CPU core says.

I believe Intel said that the Core 2 Duos will start having errors at 61,9 C. But remember, the temperature diodes aren't that accurate, and the rule of thumb is: If everything works, your temps are fine.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

A wealth of information: http://www.overclockers.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users