Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Start In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ClayTaurus

ClayTaurus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

I rebooted and tried hitting f8. The computer started up as normal. I also tried f10 and delete. Delete took me to my boot up options, but not the boot up version screen where I could choose safe mode. Any suggestions?

Thanks
C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

What make and model computer do you have?

Most computers require you to start tapping the F8 key before Windows begins to start (before the Windows splash screen displays) to enter the safe mode menu.

Maybe yours requires a different key. Give us the make and model and we will try to look it up.

#3 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:46 PM

a crude way to get into safe mode with XP
- turn computer on
- wait until black windows srceen appears(about 20 seconds)
- pull the plug from mains
- replug
- restart up computer
it goes straight in safemode

oh, and with a laptop one has to take the battery first

Edited by fleamailman, 18 October 2006 - 10:50 PM.

everyday is a gift

#4 Cobra2

Cobra2

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:12 AM

Hi ClayTaurus
As Enthusiast mentioned You must tap repeatedly the F8 key after the
peep of the post wen You reboot or start Your pc

Have a Good Day :thumbsup:

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:13 AM

If you are using Windows XP, hit the F8 key right when the first black screen come up. (My computer has F2 and F12 listed in the top right along with their purposes.)

Now that isn't the end of the game; there are two points in which you have to provide further directions, otherwise the computer will boot into normal mode. My memory is having a blank right now so I cannot remember which screen comes up first. I will edit this post or add another post after I have rebooted into safe mode again sometime later today or perhaps tomorrow morning, and this time I will take notes. Meanwhile, these are the screens you should be on the lookout for.

Keep your eyes glued to the screen. One of the windows that comes up requires that you use the cursor keys on the keyboard to select what mode you want to open in. Usually you should choose the Safe Mode version that doesn't have networking.

There is another screen that will come up that you need to provide a response. Something about the system starting in safe mode, do you want to and if so enter yes. If your response isn't quick enough, it will load in normal mode.

Hope this helps,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 October 2006 - 04:40 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:23 AM

sorry, I should have left a provizo that the crude way I mentioned was the method of last resort and that tapping F8 as mentioned here is the bettter way

Edited by fleamailman, 19 October 2006 - 06:24 AM.

everyday is a gift

#7 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

A very nice Tutorial:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Stelios :thumbsup:

#8 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:46 PM

I use the System Configuration Utility method for booting into Safe Mode. (for Windows XP)

Close all open programs.

Click Start, Run, & type MSCONFIG into the box & click OK.

The System Configuration Utility appears. On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, Click Apply & OK. Restart your PC when prompted.

The computer restarts in Safe mode.

When you are finished with the steps for which you are using Safe mode, open MSCONFIG, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT". Click OK to restart your computer.

When you come back online you may Click "Normal mode" on the General tab of the System Configuration Utility.
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#9 ClayTaurus

ClayTaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

Thanks, folks.

I used the msconfig method and it worked like a charm.

Now to finish getting this #$%#$%# VirusBurst off of here.

Cheers,
C

#10 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

I have 2 computers.....
one of them will boot into safe mode using the f8 method.... no problem.
The other one has never worked using this method, so i have to use the method as stated by LaFemmeMichele .....strange.
I think it may have something to do with the keyboard.
The MS Office keyboard has so many keys and options, i think something may need changing to reboot into safe mode using the f8 key.

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users