Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Have Problem Waking Up !

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 maje1710

maje1710

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hi ! here's my problem :

when i put my computer in the "sleep mode" ( like i always do in the past !!), when i "wake up" my computer don't want to open nothing ?? i clic on the icons but nothing happens ( the ONLY icons that work is my "outlook express" in my quick launch bar) my internet explorer won't start either ! but strangely, when i open my taskmanager : they are all there !!???? and when i want to restart, it won't either ! i have to "reset" my computer! then, when it restart, everything is ok !! ( it's ONLY when i put my computer in "sleep" mode and wake it )!

any ideas why ?????

many thanks

Mark

WinXP SP2 Home
AMD Athlon64 3400+
512 Mo ram
HD SATA 160 Gb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

Just a shot in the dark, but try updating your video drivers. This solves a whole bunch of problems with standby and hibernation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

Do you have more than one hard drive installed?

The display may not turn on when you wake the computer from hibernation or from standby in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908357/en-us

Is your mouse and keyboard USB or PS2?

How to troubleshoot hibernation and standby issues in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907477/en-us

Have you gotten any error messages or does the machine spontaneously reboot?

Do you know when this problem began?

#4 maje1710

maje1710
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:26 PM

hello i'm gonna try to respond to all your questions :

- only one drive.
- my display turn on.
- mouse and keyboard = PS2.
- NO error message when i'm goin "on" or "off" in standby and my pc don't reboot.
- i don't exactly know when my problem started ?!
- i upgrade my video drivers (ATI 9600XT (powercolor). = NO CHANGE !!!
- i upgrade my bios. = NO CHANGE !!!
- repaired (upgrade) my OS. = NO CHANGE !!!

Is it possible that my problem could be my explorer.exe ? ( not Internet explorer) ?

Can you explain what is the deifference between "standby" and "hibernation" please ?

btw, i had problems with my videocard and my problem was that my card "overheat" and the 3D is dead....
i ship back my defect card at Powercolor, they supposed to ship me a brand new one from time to time !

thanks

Mark

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:03 PM

I have a similar "bug". I can use standby once and every thing seems OK. The second time between boots and the "bug" kicks in and my computer acts similar to yours.
I switched to hibernate and it works perfectly everytime.
You can go to hibernate by holding down the left shift key and clicking on the standby button.
The difference between standy and hibernate is standby uses the memory and hibernate uses the hard drive.
If the comp is in hibernate during a power failure it will still boot back like nothing happened. In standby during a power failure it is like the computer running and can cause problems.
I only shutdown the comp now for updates and if a thunderstorm is in the area. Hibernate is more of an energy saver than standby.
It sounds like Usasma is on to something though with your problem being related to your video card.

Edited by buddy215, 22 October 2006 - 06:47 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:17 AM

The repair (upgrade) of XP would replace your explorer.exe - so that's not the problem.

Do you have SP2? Has it been reinstalled? If so, this will replace the iexplore.exe file.

Standby - saves the contents of the memory(and work) by keeping a trickle of current alive in your memeory. The benefit of this is that it's quick to get back to the desktop - the drawback is that a power loss will lose all of your work.

Hibernation - saves the contents of the memory (and work) to the hard drive. The benefit of this is that you won't lose your work in the event of a power failure, but it takes longer to get back to your desktop.

Standby is great for laptops (since they've got a battery) - but not for desktops (where hibernation is preferable).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

btw, i had problems with my videocard and my problem was that my card "overheat" and the 3D is dead....
i ship back my defect card at Powercolor, they supposed to ship me a brand new one from time to time !

Does that mean you have installed a new video card at this time?
If not, what are you using?

#8 maje1710

maje1710
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

hi again !!!! thanks for the info about sleep/hibern..

no i didn't re-install SP2 ! do i have to ? is this gonna fix my problem ?

yes i have a new videocard ( it's a loan from my store ;-) ). i have a ATI 9600PRO .....
but it didn't change anything to my problem ( i install new drivers). ( except that i can play 3D games now !!!).

for the hibernation thing, i prefer the "sleeping" mode ( more faster to be back on my desktop ;-)).
i was always use the "sleep" mode before and it was working fine !! that's why i ask your help, to repair my problem ;-). ( i like the "sleeping" mode).

thanks again and tell me if i have to re-install my SP2 ???? ( and the procedure please ;-) ).

Mark

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

SP2 is a performance, security, and operating system fix - it's essential to have in order to protect yourself from vulnerabilities on the web. Without it, you'll have unpatched holes on your system that the bad guys can get it through. Also, as I recall, Microsft will stop offering patches for the SP1 and SP1a versions in the very near future!

To uninstall it, go to Start...Control Panel...Add and Remove Programs. Scroll down until you find SP2 - then click to uninstall it. Once that's done, reboot and immediately visit Windows Update. Find the SP2 download and install it on your system. Then, there'll be about 50 other updates that you'll need to download also.

This is the recommended procedure from Microsoft for removing/repairing Internet Explorer. This will fix any problems with your current Internet Explorer installation - but does not guarantee that there's not something else that's causing this.

To repair the sleep mode, the most common thing to do is to uninstall your video drivers and devices (through Device Manager - not physically taking them out). Don't forget to download the latest drivers for your device and put them on the desktop for easy access later on.

Then reboot. When Windows wants to use the Found New Hardware wizard - cancel out of it. Then double click on the downloaded drivers and let them install normally (you may have to reboot afterwards).

This fixes most problems with sleeping - but, as with the other solution, there are many different things that can cause this. For example, the system that I'm typing on right now won't "sleep" - and if I reinstall the drivers, it'll sleep for a short while. Then it'll revert back to not sleeping. This is (I'm sure) a problem with another program that I'm using - but I haven't had the time to isolate which program it is. If you experience similar problems, then I'll move it up on my list so that we can help each other out! :thumbsup:

#10 maje1710

maje1710
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

Hi usasma, i look in my add/remove program, but i can find the SP2 ? i know that is installed but i cannot find it there !!! btw, i ordered the cd SP2 from microsft, so i don't have to go Windows update.

*** i'm gonna re-instal my video drivers and device !

for the SP2 remove, i'm gonna wait from you ..... (is there a uninstal or repair on my SP2 cd )?

thanks again

Mark

update : *** i reinstal everything (after uninstal everything (device and drivers) i had no error messages while my installation BUT, when i"m trying to open my catalsyt center... i have a error about the cli.exe thing !

i reinstal again, and again that message ! :-( ...... i have the latest catalyst pack from ATI !!!! i don't know what's wrong !!??????

Mark

Edited by maje1710, 24 October 2006 - 04:37 PM.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

If you have the SP2 CD, just uninstall SP2 as usasma advised, reboot, and just use the cd to reinstall it.

It will replace whatever file/s may have become corrupted.
The CD is better than the download, but after you install SP2 from the cd go to Windows Updates and install whatever updates you may be missing.
Let it scan and then click express download.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 October 2006 - 12:52 PM.

#12 maje1710

maje1710
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

hi again, i put my SP2 cd and it won't ask me to uninstal SP2 !? so, i let it go all the way...(it reinstal SP2 without any messages or errors).
i test my "sleeping" and my "hibernate" and i have the SAME problem as before
and when i came back at my desptop (after "sleep" or"hibernate", if i clic my IE :nothing happens, if i want to restart or shutdown my computer it do nothing neither !? i guess winxp cannot shut down my explorer.exe ? i have to reset my computer and when it restart everything is ok !!! until i do the "sleep" or "hibernate" thing !!!??????
i'm sooo disapointed !! i don't know what to do anymore ???

so i repaired (upgraded) Win XP !
i do my bios update !
i reinstal my video drivers (and device) !
i reinstal my SP2 !

can someone can help me ?

Mark

p.s. i reinstal everything(video drivers) (after uninstal everything (device and drivers) i had no error messages while my installation BUT, when i"m trying to open my catalsyt center... i have a error about the cli.exe thing !

i reinstal again, and again that message ! :-( ...... i have the latest catalyst pack from ATI !!!! i don't know what's wrong !!??????

Edited by maje1710, 25 October 2006 - 07:16 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

It appears that there's something preventing your system from hibernating or going into standby. Are you running a program in the background (such as Windows Media Player)? This will often prevent hibernation from kicking in.

I'm starting to suspect pcAnywhere on my system - it's the only "new" process that's running on my system. The only recent changes that I have were updating to Firefox 2.0 and updating to the final version of Windows Defender.

#14 maje1710

maje1710
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:32 AM

hi ! no i"m not running anything ! when i'm going in "sleeping" or "hibernation" mode, i close everything !

i don't have pcanywhere.
i don't have firefox.

i do have windows defender, but i always disabled it ! ( i enabled it only for scanning, after that i disabled it again .... ( so i'm sure it's not that).

i post a log in your hijackthis forum (in case they found something strange .... me i found something strange in that log (but i'm not an expert) : i have around 100 "O1 - Hosts:" in it !!???? i NEVER had so much "O1 - Hosts:" in my logs before !? it seems that they are my favorites !!??? why they are there ? i don't understand).

do you have an idea why when i come back from "sleep" or "hibernate" mode i CANNOT restart or close my computer ? (like i said earlier, winxp is trying to close my "EXPLORER.EXE" !!??.

thanks again
Mark

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

It's very unusual to have 100 entries in the Hosts section of HJT. I would suggest that you let the HJT Team work on your log before we go any further.

You are always running something when your computer is turned on. Check the Task Manager - Processes tab to see what processes are running on your system.

You don't have to have those programs - those are just examples of what causes the problem on my computer. Another problem program is earlier versions of SyncBackSE - it'll cause this behavior. But, the point is that there is some program preventing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users